Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Earth, Floating, and Chassis grounds relationship to Audio Humming

Status
Not open for further replies.

JFCMan

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all - I'm ignorant with regards to basic understanding of electricity/electronics - I have researched, and I believe I know the different theory/explanations for all three ground schemes but what I need to know is whether I can make all three common (tie them all together) in order to eliminate the humming noise I hear when connecting my stereo system to my computer workstation. Will I damage anything? All my stereo gear is connected to one single Power Surge protector unit, and my computer is connected to the same ac wall outlet the Power Surge protector is plugged into. All my stereo gear is "vintage" - they all have the same ac power connectors, that is the 2-prong kind but my computer has a 3-prong ac power connector type. :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.