Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC16F628A ROM failing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vbase

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Over a period of several years I used PIC16F628A and found that after programing them for about 100 to 200 times the ROM fails. It happened to all the 6 ICs I had with 3 different dates and different sources.
I've never had this problem with other PIC uC.

Have you had this problem with PIC16F628A?

I think I have some that have been used in development prototypes that have been re-programmed many more times than that without any issues. Possibly your programming equipment is overstressing the PICs each time they write to them.

Brian.

Reactions: Vbase

Vbase

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
What is the reason to programm them 100-200 times?
I can't write a program that works the first time.

- - - Updated - - -

I think I have some that have been used in development prototypes that have been re-programmed many more times than that without any issues. Possibly your programming equipment is overstressing the PICs each time they write to them.

Brian.
Hi Brian, thanks, as I've already said, I don't have this problem with other PICs, I programed PIC18F2550 more than thousand times.
Do you think my programmer discriminate against PIC16F628A ?

The 628A is no different to the other types in regard to it's memory type so I can't think of any reason why it should have a shorter life expectancy.
What programmer do you use?
Have they all been used in the same circuit?

Brian.

The PICs were used in many different circuits.
The programmers are PicKit2 and Velleman.

Your experience indicates that the problem is not likely with PIC16F628A, it is only with the ICs I bought. I buy the PICs from internet shops that sell small quantities.

I have programmed PIC16F628A and 648A more than 100 times using PICKit2 and PICKit3. I buy from microchipDirect. They ship from Thailand. I never had such problems with any MCU.

Status
Not open for further replies.