Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

upcounter and updown counter power and area

Status
Not open for further replies.

tv123

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Will there is be power and area difference for an 6 bit upcounter and 6 bit updown counter?

Probably. Why not build them and find out.

Reactions: tv123

tv123

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I'd expect that a 6-bit updown counter will take at least as much power/area as 6-bit upcounter, and possibly a bit more. I'd expect area increase to be slightly more pronounced than power increase. But as TrickyDicky said, try and find out for yourself. :)

Is there a possibility of replacing a up/down based frequency divider by a upcounter one with a rst signal

i.e, if a max count is given and an updown counter counts two and fro to max and to zero with a high frequency signal.

Instead of this can i use an up counter which counts to max and then rst and again count to max and so on.

If rqrd i can give more explanation

If you are in an FPGA - you should not be using any sort of counters for frequncy division, unless you are generating a clock enable. Creating new clocks should be done as the output of an MMCM or PLL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back