Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

where to start ? fpga

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yassine Wydadi

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi i am a electrical engineering student first year since we study only microcontrollers and processors I have decided to learn more about fpga (I have a little experience with spartan 3e vhdl) . My goal is to be able to perperform video processing on a video stream and detect ,track multiples objects . I have 4 months periode . For the fpga I think basys3 board from digilent will do fine ( 1800 kb of ram 90 dsp. Vivado ) ?
The problem I don't know where to begin ? What I should study ? Ho im gonna feed the video to the fpga ? any help would be great thanks

That sounds like a pretty ambitious first project for an FPGA, are you sure that's what you want to do? You need to learn the details of the particular FPGA itself, Verilog or VHDL, video (analog and processing algorithms), Vivado, analog/digital-digital/analog conversion, DSP, etc. The fact that you don't even know how to "feed the video to the fpga" is certainly an indicator that maybe you should try something a little less challenging.

A first year student? Unless you have eidetic memory and can speed read the entire Video Demystified book in a few days, you probably won't know enough after 4 months of study to do any kind of video processing on a video stream.

Most of the questions we get from first time users of FPGAs that are in school are about assignments given to them by their professors. These run the gamut from LED flahsers, digital clocks, waveform generators, and sometimes even something as complex as a digital filter.

I suggest going to somewhere like this and try out projects that are smaller and will allow you to become familiar and proficient with VHDL/Verilog coding, the tools flow, etc.

A first year student? Unless you have eidetic memory and can speed read the entire Video Demystified book in a few days, you probably won't know enough after 4 months of study to do any kind of video processing on a video stream.

Most of the questions we get from first time users of FPGAs that are in school are about assignments given to them by their professors. These run the gamut from LED flahsers, digital clocks, waveform generators, and sometimes even something as complex as a digital filter.

I suggest going to somewhere like this and try out projects that are smaller and will allow you to become familiar and proficient with VHDL/Verilog coding, the tools flow, etc.

first year in france i thinks it means third year in us
i my second year i i have a exprience in fpga i did some projects in spartan 3e (Vga controle, usb keyboard,counters .....)

so im trying to learn by project
now i think im gonna constrate on matlab image processing then a way to convert the code to fpga or maybe look around for some ip cores i dont relly know i feel vague

sorry for my bade english thanks for the replay

- - - Updated - - -

thanks for the replay
now i think i need to study more about Matlab . My primary goal is to learn about image and video processing . so im gonna stop dreaming and start with some easy things hopefully by the end of the summer i will be able to work something out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back