Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what happens to the phase shift of a 2-stage opamp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zhangljz

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I have a 2-stage opamp, and I use nulling resistor + miller capacitor for frequency compensation. The opamp is connected as an unit gain buffer. When I do 'stb analysis' to find the phase margin, for some voltage the phase has a 'V' shape shift at high frequency. Why is it?

charge pump0000000000012.jpeg

Will this affect the stability?

shouldn't it be monotonically decreasing like this?
charge pump0000000000013.jpeg

Thank you in advance

The phase starts at 180 deg as it should then should be negative after going thru 0 with 3rd and 4th order effects , but appears to be inverted. check calcuation error.

It appears there is No compensation built in with dominant 1st order filter.

I changed 'stb' sweep type from 'automatic' to 'logarithmic', then the plot looks better. like this
charge pump0000000000015.jpeg

Maybe because of calculation error

This sort of behaviour shows up in Loop Gain analysis of different kinds.

On can even see similar plots from tools like MatLAB as well.

I think it is a result of how the tool handles multiple poles at the same point or complex poles.

Perhaps it is not able to solve for the phase accurately when given multiple poles/zeroes at the same point or close by. So it shows "kinks" in the phase curve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back