Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help in identifying Device/Component

Status
Not open for further replies.

fayaz_3e

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

As part of academic project, I am looking for a component which tracks for object(s) and signals if it is missing. The number of object are too high. I can not add anything to object. So I planned to set a component on floor top which sends signals to the object and if its missing, signal that its missing.

Please help me on identifying the component/device for this.

I appreciate your help. Thanks.

Regards,
Fayaz

What exactly do u mean by tracking? Like you want to detect missing objects on a conveyer belt or Track a vehicle kind of thing? Your problem needs elaboration.

What exactly do u mean by tracking? Like you want to detect missing objects on a conveyer belt or Track a vehicle kind of thing? Your problem needs elaboration.

We have bicycle stand. These are placed in open community and being stolen in very high number. As part of academic project, I would like to contribute and help in monitoring these.

Still need more information.

Detecting the presence of a bicycle is easy, you can use it's weight to operate a switch or use it to block a light beam or even use a magnetic switch if the frame is magnetised. All of these methods can be overcome by a determined thief. Are you looking for a high security system to detect if a specific bicycle has been moved from a specific position or are you looking for a system to track the motion of a stolen bike and report where it's present location is?

Brian.

Thats nice. We have those many options :) I understand that all these can be overcome. But for a high-school project having 500 cycles, considering economical facts, which one would be preferred for a low cost project.

Trust me I don't want to follow the thief and track the bike. I could do it in my graduation. For now, my duty is just to check if it still exists or gone.

Its just a thought, applying science to it. I don't have clear/concise requirements or information. Your inputs could be very much helpful.

If all you need is "there or missing", the cheapest and simplest option is a microswitch under the bike stand to detect whether there is any weight in it. Wire the switch to a power source and light bulb or LED so it shows which have a bike in them and which are empty.

If you want to indicate when the switch changes state, in other words a bike is added or removed from the rack, you need a circuit that checks the switch state and remembers what is was, if a new check doesn't match the previous state, the bike has been moved. You can do this quite easily with an XOR logic gate, a resistor and a capacitor.

Brian.

U can make a small digital lock with mechanical locking mechanism, use a simple 4x4 Keypad for a user to enter password and enable an alarm incase the wrong password is entered. It involves simple microcontroller, Keypad, speaker, lock

That gets expensive when you need 500 of them and if they are close together it would be difficult to tell which alarm was sounding.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back