Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RC Circuit - Numerical time domain analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a RC circuit, if the voltage source is a sinusoidal source, I found the given equation. C is constant.
I tried to solve this problem in time domain. So, I use a source in an EDA tool. I found the current in time. I know the voltage. I use simple numerical derivaton df(x)=[f(x2)-f(x1)]/(x2-x1). In this case, derivation is almost zero at the peak and bottom of the sinus. So, capacitance goes infinite. What am I doing wrong?
View attachment 115956

I dont see an error in result in EDA.

The peak sin voltages will always result in a zero crossing of current for any ideal reactive component. For C, current peak leads voltage peak by 90 deg and for L it lags. It will always be 90 deg phase difference for V and I in any ideal reactance. Even so with variable C changing with V or t, but not if lossy with internal series R (ESR).

Ratch, I am looking for time domain numerical solution.

Guys, please do not try to change topic. I know phasor, I know differential equations, I know everything about the circuit theory. I do not know how to solve this problem in MATLAB in time domain. No hand-solution, no differential equation, no analysis on paper.

Is it clear enough?

It is now, but you did not specify only a MATLAB solution in your first post. I for one, do not have MATLAB or know how to use it.

Ratch

I for one have not heard of a capacitor which changes in value during an AC cycle, and back again by the next cycle. (Unless it might be a varactor.) So these calculations appear to be putting the cart before the horse.

However I confess I do not know what inventions are in the works. A great many possibilities open up, if there were capacitors which can be made to change their own value, in response to a simple electrical signal.

Even more possibilities, if we could have inductors/ transformers which do the same thing.

The calculations would become a lot more complicated, but it would be worth it to have such advanced components.

Status
Not open for further replies.