Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Triac [BT 136] Based Fan Regulator issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunil21

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I had five step fan regulator which was not good(speed 5 is full and 1 to 4 is very slow , 4 is not even 1/4th of speed 5). I opened it and saw it has 3 caps and resistors . I went to buy a fan regulator which I saw at my friends house before which was like a volume controller . Shopkeeper told me this is dimmer for lamps. I bought one and replaced my old regulator. It worked and the next day irrespective of the knob it was at full speed , no variation in speed when I turned the knob( It worked for one day) . I took it out and opened it and saw Triac bt136, diac, and inductor (50uh), 2 caps , res, variable res etc. I checked the variable and found it to be ok. so I had a spare bt136 and replaced it. I checked it with a 60w bulb and it worked okay. I put it back and then checked - fan speed okay . This too only lasted for a day and again it is gone. (I consulted with my friend and he told me that he had few experience with this and finally stopped using it - he had the damaged regulators replaced by the shop keeper two or three times , but no use. - may be this is why the shop keeper told me to say lamp dimmer , may be he know it will not run for long time).

I don't know why this happening, may be becoz it is an inductive load. I have used this bt136 and PIC micro for Xmas lamp chasers and all, never had any issue before.

My question really is - any other triac to suggest. or point any web page with guaranteed working circuit diagram.

Status
Not open for further replies.