Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Where do I find the LEON2 source code?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsummers

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am starting a new FPGA SOC design and I need to choose a soft processor.

I already have experience with the LEON3, but I am not going to be able to use it for this project. I have a 3rd party, closed source core in my design and it is my understanding that this make it impossible for me to use the GPL LEON3 in my design as I would not be able to release the source code for my design (including the 3rd party core).

The LEON2 is licensed under LGPL, but I have not been able to find the source code. It seems that non of the old Gaisler links work now that Aeroflex owns the company.

It seems that the European Space Agency is continuing to develop the LEON2, but they only license their version for us on ESA projects, which is not an option for me. Do any of their improvements get released into the open-source version?

Where can I find the LEON2 VHDL code? Is there an official GIT or SVN repository?

Is there any active (open-source) development of the LEON2 as a LGPL alternative to the LEON3, or is the LEON2 "dead" as an open source project?

Is basing a new design on a "dead" processor a bad idea?

Are there other free/cheap processor cores that I should consider? I do not need a lot of horsepower, but I would like something with a well established tool chain and support community.

Thank you!

https://www.gaisler.com/index.php/products/processors/leon3

Quoting from the website - "The full source code is available under the GNU GPL license, allowing free and unlimited use for research and education. LEON3 is also available under a low-cost commercial license, allowing it to be used in any commercial application to a fraction of the cost of comparable IP cores. "

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back