Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how protecting full bridge inverter against short circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

zizi110

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi friends,
i have a full bridge dc-ac converter that is drived with a driver like HIP2100 .
i put R-L load at the full bridge output, but i don't know why suddenly load was short circuit and the high side driver get damaged.
how can i protect full bridge and driver against short circuit?

thanks

An inverter with output inductors can be usually protected against load shorts with an output overcurrent sense and fast driver deactivation, considering limited dI/dt.

Internal shorts or load shorts without di/dt limiting inductor are difficult to handle. Best chances are with desaturation detection in gate driver and immediate shutdown. It can work with IGBT and high voltage MOSFET.

Hi FvM,
thanks for your reply :)
but in this case this idea does not work !
i connect 100 ohm resistor series with 5 mH inductance at inverter output, but when i connect dc supply the smoke comes up from load and i heard a tik tik sound from power supply ( i think that was for overcurrent through the load that was short circuit) :thinker:
maybe power rating of resistor and inductor is low! i dont know .... i used 1/4 w element and dc power supply is 24v.
unfortunately hip2100 does not have any overcurrent protection or desaturation , that is why i select FSBS15CH60 module that has gate driver + 3 leg IGBT and optocoupler-less feature. it has overcurrent protection just for low-side IGBT , and i realy worry about high-side IGBTs.

Last edited:

can u post the schematic of ur inverter ? i am not able to run the full h-bridge inverter.
the schematic which i am following is as follows

Attachments

• Screenshot (47).png
    Screenshot (47).png
    124.2 KB · Views: 164

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back