Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FPGA ethernet beginner

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawnmk123

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I have not used FPGA before and I have not used ethernet on FPGA. the goal is to build a high speed ethernet using FPGA.

I need some helpful resources to understand what all the above means and more topics like which to choose: MII/RMII/GMII/SMII?

Is there a book that explains these topics?

Do you have any experience designing in Verilog or VHDL ?

The best source of information, is the documentation for that particular FPGA. In the respective websites it is available for free. Else you may also see what you have under the 'Help' available in the GUI.
Please read the documentation carefully. Believe me, that docu has more info that anywhere else! :)

Do you have any experience designing in Verilog or VHDL ?

just minimal experience. but enough to do a small project.

i have never programmed/configured an FPGA

- - - Updated - - -

The best source of information, is the documentation for that particular FPGA. In the respective websites it is available for free. Else you may also see what you have under the 'Help' available in the GUI.
Please read the documentation carefully. Believe me, that docu has more info that anywhere else! :)

I checked the datasheet. I want a textbook or website with information how to choose between ethernet IP cores, which interface type (MII/RMII/...?)

- - - Updated - - -

I'm using the Artix 7 FPGA. if this information helps.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/boards_and_kits/ac701/ug952-ac701-a7-eval-bd.pdf

The above link is the user guide pdf of the Artix 7 Evaluation board. They mentioned that "The board supports RGMII mode only." on page 38.

Is that for the entire Artix-7 FPGAs? if this can be configured, how did they do that? that is, how can I modify it to MII ?

Another question is why did they choose RGMII? why would anyone choose other MII variations?

Just a warning, as quoted from the xilinx Ethernet MAC core user guide:

Although the TEMAC solution is fully-verified, the challenge associated with
implementing a complete design varies depending on the configuration and functionality
of the application. For best results, previous experience building high performance,
pipelined FPGA designs using Xilinx implementation software and User Constraint Files
(UCF) is recommended. Contact your local Xilinx representative for a closer review and
estimation for your specific requirements.

So as a beginner, this probably isnt a good project to start with.

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/tri_mode_eth_mac_ug138.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.