Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to switch triacs ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raady Here

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
how to switch triac(BT139) without using Zero detection opto-isolators ?

I want to drive triac directly with microcontroller. I have connected as shown in figure.View attachment digr.bmp

Triacs cannot be fired without doing zero detection. Triacs doesn't behaves like a transistor. When you trigger the gate, M1 and M2 terminals will be closed until the AC waveform reaches to zero volt. No matter you pull the gate low before the zero crossing, the triac will be still on. So you have to detect when the waveform crosses zero and fire the triac with a specific delay as needed.

I am trying to refer to BTA08.PNG in AN392 data sheet. He had shorted four pin of microcontroller and connected to gate and traic firing is done as per the figure 3 in data sheet.
:

ST6210 can source 15mA by any pin, thus 3 fused pins can source around 45mA which is enough to drive BTA16. This circuit can work, but the fact is there should always be an isolation between high voltage side and low voltage side. Or it will not be safe to operate. Your MCU can be blown out if any short circuit happens, and also any human operator can get a nasty shock. So an optoisolator is always recommended. If you don't want to use any optoisolator for zero detection, you can use a resistor divider, followed by a zener diode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back