Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

90 degrees phase shift using transformer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neazoi

Advanced Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello, I know 180 degrees phase difference can be made using a trifilar transformer. The primary winding is the SE input and the other two secondary windings are connected so that the end of the first is connected to the beginning of the second. This point is the zero potential whereas the other two points are the 180 degrees phase difference.

I was wondering is there is any transformer confuguration that can yield in 90 degrees phase difference signals or 90 degrees phase shifts?

Transformers can generate voltages with different phases only if you already have multi-phase phase input voltage. The method is widely used in three phase power distribution.

Phase shift of a single phase AC supply can be only performed with reactant circuits, e.g. the well know motor capacitor to generate a rotating field for a single phase induction motor.

Transformers can generate voltages with different phases only if you already have multi-phase phase input voltage. The method is widely used in three phase power distribution.

Phase shift of a single phase AC supply can be only performed with reactant circuits, e.g. the well know motor capacitor to generate a rotating field for a single phase induction motor.

I was referring to transformers like this one https://wb5rvz.com/sdr/wc5mc_bifilar_xfrmr_example.gif
These are supposed to drive a push-pull amplifier.
Aren't the 3 and 6 points of oposite phase?

Aren't the 3 and 6 points of oposite phase?
Of course, but that's just voltage inversion (or phase reversal) and hasn't to do with phase shift.

Of course, but that's just voltage inversion (or phase reversal) and hasn't to do with phase shift.

Yes, I was thinking of it as a phase shift but it is phase reversal. Phase reversal can be provided by 108 degrees phase shift as well, so the result is the same in both cases. However phase shift cannot be provided by a transformer as far as I can understand from your previous answer.
Thank you very much

If you think about a sine wave input, what you are wanting is for the flux to have a maximum when the incoming voltage is a minimum, this can only be done with a reactive circuit where energy is stored.
Frank

Reactions: neazoi

neazoi

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thank you. That makes sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back