Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] PM55L-048 Stepper Heats

Status
Not open for further replies.

srikanth977

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I learning to interfacing a PM55L-048-HP69 Stepper Motor to 8051 (unipolar)
I am using L298N as driver module bought here in local market.
I have connected the coils to pin (2,3) & (13,14). Logic Voltage of 5V to pin 9. The module has the remaining circuitry to operate.

I have connected the center tap wire to 5V. The stepper is working as per my program.

According to datasheet, the stepper is 24V powered, so I connected 24V to pin 4. There is no change in motors speed or torque.

I have then tried connecting the center tap wire to 24 volts. The motor rotates at good speed and torque also.
But my problem is that the motor heats up. Is this the usual case? or I have done something wrong?

Please guide me.

Hi all,
I have found the solution.
Actually I was connecting wrong wires to the motor coils and understood my mistake.

But Heat problem is still present. It heats upto a particular temperature only. Since I am interfacing it for the first time, I am a little worried about the temperature. Should I use the current sense feature of L298N??

Old question, but new to me as I just read it .... lol You can always parallel a resistor across the motor to limit the current draw through the motor. Depending on your current needs for the motor, your resistor value with have to be set. A potentiometer is probably best bet, in series with a large watt low resistance resistor so you don't burn the pot. no pun intended.

Old question, but new to me as I just read it .... lol You can always parallel a resistor across the motor to limit the current draw through the motor. Depending on your current needs for the motor, your resistor value with have to be set. A potentiometer is probably best bet, in series with a large watt low resistance resistor so you don't burn the pot. no pun intended.
IF you burn your pot then you can fry eggs on the driver as this will add current to the driver. Static load from motor causes the series winding, Rs to limit the current to typically 4x the rated motor current when moving, so full voltage is over doing it, when static.

But I wouldn't get to wound up about it even if the pot is wirewound.
I'm just yoking with you. This old thread should have been closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back