Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power resistor calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanislavb

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I need calculate resistor 2.4 ohm let's say from Vishay:
I am taking 100W power resistor with overload rating is x10 for 5s.
Ambient temperature is 100deg. According graph derating it will be 80%. So effective power dissipation will be 80W.
Now I need dissipate 3000W. The pulse duration the resistor withstand is 3000W/(80W*10(factor)*5s~1.33s
The maximum working voltage will be V=sqrt(3000W*2.4ohm)= 84v.
Please review it and comment
Thank you

Hi,
I need calculate resistor 2.4 ohm let's say from Vishay:
I am taking 100W power resistor with overload rating is x10 for 5s.
Ambient temperature is 100deg. According graph derating it will be 80%. So effective power dissipation will be 80W.
Now I need dissipate 3000W. The pulse duration the resistor withstand is 3000W/(80W*10(factor)*5s~1.33s
The maximum working voltage will be V=sqrt(3000W*2.4ohm)= 84v.
Please review it and comment
Thank you

Dissipation means hat a device (resistor) would heat up in a given environment. To prevent its overheating, a suitable environment must be modified to sink the heat. Hence the name "heat sink".
For resistors, a suitable heat sink can be a mount on an aluminum plate or a ridged structure that would radiate and conduct the heat elsewhere. For high power, also a water bath may be good.
Always consider an increased power flow, therefore a larger and more efficient heat sink to use. Select a resistor rated for a higher power dissipation, to make a safe device with a longer life.
Commercial heat sinks like ridged Al blocks come with the heat flow specification. Using a fan offers an improved heat flow. I my designs, I always ran tests with measuring the temperature increase over time, and made modifications to ensure the temperature will stabilize at an acceptable level. Car headlight lamps are a good heat sources, their power can be adjusted by DC voltage to a desired level, and are cheap if they break during a test.

I've found very interesting this application from Vishay:

**broken link removed**

I think it could help you in your calculation

I've found very interesting this application from Vishay:

**broken link removed**

I think it could help you in your calculation

Thank you for this reference! I only warn the readers from the simple extrapolation suggested in the intro. MOst such resistors fail when overloaded as indicated, by short duty cycle. I succeeded always by described experiments.

Status
Not open for further replies.