Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Short-length channel effects

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterPlane

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
In today's short-length channel technologies (sub 22 nm), which effect is more important channel length modulation or velocity saturation? and, what is the most important effect of the secondary effects?

I think this cannot simply be differentiated, because both effects (and hot-electron effects, additionally) depend on external conditions: Vds, operation region (strong, light or no saturation), and operation mode (strong, moderate or weak inversion) with different dependencies.

I'd suggest to study these different effects and their dependencies in the literature, e.g. Binkley Tradeoffs and Optimization in Analog CMOS Design, chap. 3.8.4.1 - 3.8.4.3 . Then you can decide upon the predominance of one of these gds affecting effects for selected operation conditions, and for a special process size.

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
For nanometer processess the situation is more complicated and a differences between CMOS, triple-gate, SOI, finfets technologies exists.

But, since 45nm not only typical CVS and vertical field effects are important, but contacts resistance, bias temperature instability, hot carrier injection and time dependent dielectric breakdown became more dominant.

The last three topics are not bad described by Maricau here.

Some usefull informations You can found also here: paper1, **broken link removed**

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Yes, I think it is quite depends on your design and application. There is not a general answer available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back