Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Text on Screen using FPGA

Status
Not open for further replies.

yttuncel

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

My question is about finding the most suitable method to print text on DVI monitor using an Altera Cyclone 3 FPGA. In fact I am already doing this but I am not at all satisfied. I read the posts by echo47 and they are parallel to what I am using in my design right now.

I hold rasterized font data in a ROM where I myself generated the .mif file. I constructed this .mif file via matlab. First I installed a freeware "font rasterizer". What it did is to create 16x16 monochromatic bitmap images of characters. Then I read these images with matlab and stored them as vectors and then formed .mif file with some manipulation and stuff. If this part is not clear I will go into more detail.

Currently I am receiving my input as 7 bit per character, not form keyboard but from an external mcu ( SPI master). From these inputs I generate ROM addresses of the characters and feed it to ROM and obtain the pixel data at the output. Then I store these ROM outputs in a small canvas (RAM) and a controller copies the contents of this canvas to the actual frame buffer.

Is there a better alternative than my approach you guys could think of? Or can anybody provide me a method to obtain proper ROM data ( text data)? My data is not pixel perfect as the tool I used to create bmp images relied on user input to fit the image to 16x16 bit map. Also I did not understand how to exract character data from BIOS, so I may use a tutorial for such method for a 64bit Windows system.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.