Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Programmable overvoltage and overcurrent protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoAVR

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

Is there an equipment that provides computer programmable overvoltage and overcurrent protection for power electronic equipment? (ie. 50V max, 40A max)?

If not, how can I implement it? Can I use a voltage and current sense value (using an ADC)?
I am afraid that solution would be to slow cause I need reaction times <500us.

Generally speaking, analog circuits can achieve the intended protection with sufficient fast reaction. <500 µs is also possible with ADC and fast digital signal processing.

As a first step, you should specify the problem completely. What's the voltage/current source, what's the load. In which way overvoltage and overcurrent can occur, what's the intended reaction. Is the maximum instantaneous current and voltage already limited by hardware means (e.g. internal resistance, clamping or avalanche features)? Is the maximum dI/dt and dV/dt limited by circuit inductance or capacitance? Design the safe operation area for the utilized power switch.

Reactions: GeoAVR

GeoAVR

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Is there an equipment that provides computer programmable overvoltage and overcurrent protection for power electronic equipment?
Do you mean overvoltage and overcurrent? Or a regulated voltage and current source?

For example, all properly designed voltage power supplies (fixed or programmable) feature overcurrent protection. But power supplies that feature programmable voltage regulation and current regulation are obtained from manufacturers of electronic laboratory equipment.

Such programmable supplies were routinely part of large ATE machines - where computers powered and tested electronic parts, boards, and boxes. These things are not cheap since making them programmable (without creating spikes, dropouts, etc) involves careful design - especially at those power levels.

But first you must decided whether you want overvoltage and overcurrent protection which is completely different from a well regulated programmable voltage and current source.

Do you mean overvoltage and overcurrent? Or a regulated voltage and current source?

For example, all properly designed voltage power supplies (fixed or programmable) feature overcurrent protection. But power supplies that feature programmable voltage regulation and current regulation are obtained from manufacturers of electronic laboratory equipment.

Such programmable supplies were routinely part of large ATE machines - where computers powered and tested electronic parts, boards, and boxes. These things are not cheap since making them programmable (without creating spikes, dropouts, etc) involves careful design - especially at those power levels.

But first you must decided whether you want overvoltage and overcurrent protection which is completely different from a well regulated programmable voltage and current source.

Hi westom,

I need external overvoltage and overcurrent equipment so I can install them as a second layer of protection to some power supply lines.

Additionally I need LCL (Latching current limiting) equipment with programmable votage, current and time thresholds. For instance, If an overcurrent condition happens and current stays above set threshold for more than t(us) then open the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.