Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Relaxation Oscillator Jitter Simulation in cadence - Eye diagram confusion...

Status
Not open for further replies.

wandola

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear All,

I am designing a conventional relaxation oscillator. The moninal frequency is around 2.85 MHz.

When I try to run the transient noise simulation and use calculator to obtain the eye diagram, I got some weird diagram and i am very much confused.

Attached you can see some waveforms obtained using the function eye diagram. The setting is pretty simple. Just set the start and stop time. The period is the oscillator output frequency period. I just took an average value for this. The weird thing is that when I changed the period by a little bit, the plotted diagram is very different.

Can some expert help me with this? I don't know how i should proceed.

For the first graph, the period is 351.5 ns; for the second one, the period is 351.3 ns; the last one has period of 351.25 ns.

Please help me with this. thanks a lot guys.

Attachments

• 351.5ns_eyediagram.png
    351.5ns_eyediagram.png
    96.9 KB · Views: 409
  • eyediagram_300u_1.0m_351.3n.png
    eyediagram_300u_1.0m_351.3n.png
    31.7 KB · Views: 191
  • eyediagram_300u_1.0m_351.25n.png
    eyediagram_300u_1.0m_351.25n.png
    34.9 KB · Views: 160
Last edited by a moderator:

For an eye diagram you must look at only one or two waveform periods, not many as your graphs show.

... the last one has period of 351.25 ns.

I'd think isn't so bad at all - I just wouldn't call it an eye diagram.

In my eyes ;-) it depicts a time jitter of about 15ns, corresponding to a frequency jitter of about 60kHz at a mean frequency of 2.850MHz , or a phase jitter of about 15° .

But may be I'm totally wrong. Let's wait for the experts!

Status
Not open for further replies.