Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sanity check: Near-field to far-field transformation

Status
Not open for further replies.

kviksand81

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear forum,

I would like to do a sanity check on a near-field to far-field transform problem that I am struggling with. I have some planar recorded near-field data and would like to transform these data to far-field data and subsequently depict the field in spherical coordinates as E(r, theta, phi) where r is the radius, theta is the space-angle (?) and phi is the planar angle. All this should be done using Matlab. My coordinate system is such that the planar data is the x-y plane and the direction of propagation is in the z-direction, hence the planar angle is measured from the positive x-axis and counter clockwise and the space-angle is measured from the positive z-axis.

Now, the data I have at hand is recorded (actually simulated) in front of a pyramidal horn excited in the TE_10 dominant mode. Simply, this emulates a planar grid-sampling of the near-field data.

The transformation should be done using the least amount of approximations possible and I assume that this would be by going about it the following way:

The recorded samples should be converted to a Plane Wave Spectrum (PWS) using the following expression:
  • f_y(k_x, k_y) = doubleintegralsum( E_ya(x,y,z=0)*exp(j*k_x*x+k_y*y))dxdy
where
  • -"E_ya" is the sampled data and the _ya indicates that the data is linearly polarized in the y-direction. A similar double integral sum could be put in place if there was an x-polarized component present.
    - "k_x" is the wavenumber in the x-direction given by k_x = sin(theta)*cos(phi)
    - "k_y" is the wavenumber in the y-direction given by k_y = sin(theta)*sin(phi)
    - The angles defined by theta and phi can be limited to the hemisphere of propagation, since this is a planar measurement and hence no data is recorded except in front of the antenna
    - The double integral sum is taken over the limits or size of the sampling grid/plane
Sanity check no. 1: If I plot the data after this operation I should see a a field-pattern that closely resembles the expected far-field pattern for a pyramidal horn. Is this true?

The next operation to perform is to convert or map these data points from the PWS to spherical coordinates by using:
  • r = x*sin(theta)*cos(phi) + y*sin(theta)*sin(phi) + z*cos(phi)
    theta = x*cos(theta)*cos(phi) + y*cos(theta)*sin(phi) - z*sin(theta)
    phi = -x*sin(phi) + y*cos(phi)
where the only components present should be the following, since I only have a E_ya component:
  • r = y*sin(theta)*sin(phi)
    theta = y*cos(theta)*sin(phi)
    phi = y*cos(phi)
Sanity check no. 2: Is this correct or am I getting it wrong here with the mapping of coordinates? Should I have done this mapping before calculating the PWS?

The coordinate mapping originates from this definition:

e87879379f2227cab0b324567d7710f3.png

The final operation to be done is to integrate to the far-field in spherical coordinates:
  • E(r, theta, phi) = (1/(4*pi^2))*doubleintegralsum(PWS*exp(-j*k*r))dk_xdk_y
where
  • k*r = r*[k_x*sin(theta)*cos(phi) + k_y*sin(theta)*sin(phi) + kz*cos(theta)]
    which can be rewritten as
    k*r = r*[k_x*sin(theta)*cos(phi) + k_y*sin(theta)*sin(phi) + sqrt(k^2 - k_x^2 - k_y^2)*cos(theta)]
    and PWS is f_y(k_x,k_y) mapped to spherical coordinates. The double integral sum is taken over the angular limits of the hemisphere in the direction of propagation.

Where am I getting it right and where am I getting it wrong here?

Any help and/or comments is deeply appreciated!

Best Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back