Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

connecting Artix 7 to pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majid Zamani

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

I am trying to implement data transfer between my FPGA board and PC.

I have some questions:

I should say in advance that I have USB to UART bridge converter on my board.

1- when I send the the data from PC to FPGA, is it save in the internal memory of FPGA?

2- About interfacing the devices, should I use the instrumentation control toolbox in Matlab? is it the only way, or I can use other methods? please help me.

in general I wnt to send data from PC to FPGA, process it and send the processed data back to PC to analyze the performance.

If you have anu useful document or website , please let me know.

Thank you for your help inadvance,
Majid

1- when I send the the data from PC to FPGA, is it save in the internal memory of FPGA?
It can...but out of the box the FPGA doesn't nothing - It's empty.
If you want it to do anything useful you have to design and program it yourself.

2- About interfacing the devices, should I use the instrumentation control toolbox in Matlab? is it the only way, or I can use other methods? please help me.
I suggest implementing your design with VHDL or Verilog.

in general I wnt to send data from PC to FPGA, process it and send the processed data back to PC to analyze the performance.
What do you mean by "process it" ??

This website is very useful.
But before any of that - make sure that you're familiar with how the fundamental elements of digital logic work: MUX, Encoder, Decoder, DeMUX, Flip Flops, etc...

This website is very useful.
But before any of that - make sure that you're familiar with how the fundamental elements of digital logic work: MUX, Encoder, Decoder, DeMUX, Flip Flops, etc...

Even before this website....The most important website to visit is Xilinx. Once you are there, download the documents on that page and read them. If you don't understand anything from the datasheet etc, then you probably need to educate yourself on a lot more than FPGAs and how to program them.

In reference to your second question, MATLAB's instrumentation toolbox is an excellent way to let MATLAB talk to your FPGA via the USB-UART.

Of course, that will require you to design a UART into the FPGA along with whatever else is required to complete your design.

r.b

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back