Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How do I replace 'define with regular expression in a verilog code?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmbeddedManiac

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone,

I am trying to run Synopsys Primetime but it does not support the 'define macro. My code includes following instructions.

`define DW_npp ((a_width/2) + 2)
`define DW_xdim (a_width+b_width+1)
`define DW_bsxt (a_width+1)

How can get rid of these macros without affecting the operation of code? can I replace these 'define macros with regular expression?

Any help and examples would be appreciated.

I don't get why you still have defines in your netlist. Primetime takes a gate level netlist, sdc, and sdf as inputs. Your netlist should have been run through synthesis, which would have done away with all the defines.

Regardless I think you would still have problems with the a_width and b_width definitions along with the + and 1 if you perform a substitution. None of those have been synthesized to gate level.

In behavioral code where ever a define macro is located is directly substituted with the value, so yes you could use a regular expression to replace all the instances of the macro.

Doing preprocessing with regexes will get painful real fast. Better to use a verilog preprocessor that you can run separately from the rest of the design flow. I think Icarus verilog is a reasonable match for this type of job.

See https://iverilog.wikia.com/wiki/Iverilog_Flags , the bit under "Preprocessor Flags".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back