Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[AVR/ARM] Interface with ADS1174 quad Simultaneous Sampling ADC, advice needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

David_

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello.

I have settled on a ADC for a project, ADS1174, its a 4 channel simultaneous sampling 16-bit ADC.
I have a Arduino Due(SAM3X8E) which I am using, I'm thinking of etching a board to fit over the Due as a protoshield.
The ADC has a SPI interface but it has one output signal for each channel, and I wonder how I should use them.
I want to have some idea before actually placing any order.

There are a high-speed mode which gives 52,734SPS and a low-speed mode which gives 10,547SPS.
The ADC needs a CKL input, in high-speed mode the clock input can be either 27MHz or 13.5MHz.

Can the due accommodate those frequency's?
Or can I achieve better performens if I use a external oscillator?

I don't quite understand the voltage reference limitations but I know that a 3V reference will work, I will use REF2030 which gives me Vref and Vref/2(Vref=3V).

The ADC has differential inputs and I will use Vref/2 tied to all negative inputs so as to enable bipolar readings, but it can not read negative voltages which makes me wonder why do the do it bipolar in that the lowest reading is 0x8000 and the maximum is 0x7FFF but not allow bipolar voltages?

The output can be through a single Dout or each channel can have its own Dout, I have not decided which I will use. There are no need to write to the ADC at all, but I can't decide if I should go with seperate channel outputs or single serial output... What do you think?

The ADC has three supplies, AVDD, DVDD and IOVDD and the need to be sequence in the order of DVDD, IOVDD, AVDD. DVDD will be 3,3V, IOVDD 1,8V and AVDD 5V. Do anyone have any sudgestion on how to simply implement such a sequencing?

Any and all thoughts are much appriciated.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.