Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Automating RTL simulation using VCS of Synopsys

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpaul

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I have various test-cases to be run on RTL simulation. These test-cases are in the form of HEX files, e.g. nc_program.hex My top level test-bench loads data from this .hex file to the internal memory and then the simulation/execution proceeds.
Up to now I have been doing this manually, changing the nc_program.hex file every time, and then launching ./simv -gui (in this case I supply a "run XYms" command at the dve> prompt ) or just ./simv (in this I wait till the simu completes and then exit it by hitting Ctrl+Z).

Now I want to automate the process of testing and want to write shell script for it (a Makefile will also be ok). But the bigger questions for me is...
1> how can I determine when VCS has completed simulation successfully (when I don't have visual indication)?
2> how can I record the sim o/p (record o/p of the transcript window)?
3> if i want to run it for some XYms, how do I pass that option to simv, possible ? If it is not possible the I can just run ./simv, but then how to catch the event that simulation is over?

Please give me hints, indications for doing this automation.
I have not read the VCS manual, so if this info is there please inform me.

Thanks,
dpaul

using dc-compiler for synthesis you can happily write a make file. for your first question whenever your simulation got completed it will generate a batch mode result.with those results you can verify whether you are getting correct o/p's or not, without going for dve & and dve wv for w/v forms for your design.

Sorry anusha vasanta, I can no way figure out how you reply fits to my thread!

- - - Updated - - -

Hi,
I have done the complete automation using Python script (way powerful, feature rich and flexible than shell script). Now for the benefit of others I will very briefly answer my own questions as to how I had solved them.

1> how can I determine when VCS has completed simulation successfully (when I don't have visual indication)?
Ans: There are two ways -
a> One can use a do file in which you specify the simulation run time. The following command can be used to launch, run and exit VCS Synopsys RTL simulation for a specified duration.
./simv -ucli -do dofile-name.do
b> Smarter way is to check for a condition in the top-level test-bench that ensures your simulation is finished and then if the condition is encountered issue a $finish statement. I have used this option as it reduces the dependency on do files (I have many different test-cases and creating a do file for each sim run was not good practice).

2> how can I record the sim o/p (record o/p of the transcript window)?
Ans: I am sure google has the answer when you are writing a shell script.
As I was using Python, I used "commands.getstatusoutput(./simv)[1]". There is a nice thread on 'stackoverflow' for this. You can then use the logging.info() to put the above output to a log file.

3> if i want to run it for some XYms, how do I pass that option to simv, possible ? If it is not possible the I can just run ./simv, but then how to catch the event that simulation is over?
Ans: Already answered in <1>.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back