Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Clock Validity checking

Status
Not open for further replies.

completelyuseless

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello Everyone,

I have an interesting problem, Its for a small PLD so only logic no core macros, etc.

I have a system clock, an oscillator, I need to check its validity. to generate something very much like a "locked" signal out of a DCM or MMCM block.

Here is the catch. I DONT have a reference clock or any secondary clock.
I am of the opinion that using a clock to check its own status is somewhat self defeating and I don't know if that's even very wise either.

The only alternative I can think of is to update a counter in a register and read that register from an SPI link that I do happen to have. (don't get excited, the SPI clock IS NOT always present and cannot be used as the reference clock) This isn't ideal as there needs to be a spi register interaction to determine if the clock is valid. To invalidate the clock would therefore entail reading a non updated register value in that register for a given period. Not ideal at all because I need that clock "valid signal" for combinatorial logic elsewhere.

Is there a smart way (if at all possible) to do check a clocks validity with itself only and no reference and also be DO-254 compliant?

many thanks in advance
the village idiot :-?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back