Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

main coding difference b/w Big-endian and Little-endian

Status
Not open for further replies.

anusha vasanta

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,
here i was taking my reg as
reg [7:0] data [63:0] this is a big endian then what is the difference b/w reg [0:7] data [63:0] is this also a big endian or the representation is not correct? clear this doubt
thanx in advance

Big endian or little endian has nothing do with your RAM or array definition. It is the way you access data. Assume a 32bit data is accessed bytewise. Depending on whether your system is big or little endian ,you will access bits[7:0] first or bits[31:24]..

The big/little endian property applies to more than one level.

The most common "problem" is the byte order.
An example, the value 0x1234 (hexadecimal in C-style)
The bytes are stored in the following order in a little-endian machine: 0x34 0x12
In a big-endian machine. 0x12 0x34

It is easier for a human to read a big-endian byte hex dump, but from a hardware/software standpoint I prefer little-endian.

The we have endianness on the bit level (bit numbering within a byte/word).
The strict big-endian machines, like PowerPC, say that the highest bit is bit 0.
I think that is crazy. I can't see any advantage at all, only problems.

There are mixed-endian architectures like the 68000 serier. Big-endian in the byte level but "normal" little-endian bit numbering witing words.

The Intel processors used in PC's are little-endian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back