Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Implementation of Counter in Verilog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spectre90

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Language: Verilog
Board: Xilinx Basys2

Hi

I am trying to make a counter that has a reset, clock (board's speed 50MHz), and a manual stop button inputs and outputs are 4-bits for a 7-segment-display.
However, i am trying to count from 1 to 9 (of course in a loop) and if i pressed the stop button, my output will be whatever the clock counted.
Also if reset is high, count goes back to 1.

i tried it but it doesnt work and i need help now.

Here is my code:

Code Verilog - [expand]
module counting(
    input clk,stop,rst,
    output reg [3:0]b_out
    );
reg count = 1;
always@(posedge clk, posedge rst, posedge stop)begin
    if(rst)
         count = 1;
    else if (count > 9)
        count = 1;
    else if (stop)
        b_out = count;
    else
        count = count + 1;
end
endmodule

Attachments

• counter module.png
    counter module.png
    11.5 KB · Views: 55
Last edited by a moderator:

Quick notes:

- treat the reset button and stop button as regular boring inputs.
- add debouncing circuits for both the reset and stop input.
- only use clk in your sensitivity list of the always block. That way you'll get a nice synchronous circuit.
- inside the always block, where you now have rst and stop, you should then use the debounced version of those signals.

Hope that helps.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah, and use non-blocking <= assignments instead of the blocking = kind you have now.

Your counter doesn't count from 1 through 9 it counts from 1 through 10.

I don't get how so many can't determine how to roll over a counter at the correct count value. else if (count > 9) means if count is 9: 9 > 9 is not true, so the next else if clause is executed, which means that count is going to be incremented again, therefore count == 10. Hello!?...so count is now 10!

Pssst, don't spoil the surprise on the other error. Let's leave that in as an easter egg for when a proper testbench is written.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back