Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to synchronize clock signals in Hspice corner simulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

pantic

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hspice simulations

Hi
I've got a clock divider circuit based on flip-flops and I'm doing corner simulations with Hspice. The problem is that the same clock signal is different depending on the corner because of the initial value at the input of the flip-flops. I mean, the same clock signal is 180º delayed in some cornes.
How can I achieve clock signals to be synchronized?
Thanks

Re: Hspice simulations

pantic said:
Hi
I've got a clock divider circuit based on flip-flops and I'm doing corner simulations with Hspice. The problem is that the same clock signal is different depending on the corner because of the initial value at the input of the flip-flops. I mean, the same clock signal is 180º delayed in some cornes.
How can I achieve clock signals to be synchronized?
Thanks

Do you do the reset in the beginning??

My flip-flops don't have reset signal.
Thanks for the response

Well, in case you want the clock divider circuit to function in the same way, you can delay the input clock for a while till the JK(or T inputs) settle. Hence the initial conditions are maintained.

Just explain why you want your output signal to be sysncronized among diferent corner simulations. If you want to perform measurements on the output signals, use the extract capabilities of your simulator

Hi everybody
Thanks for the responses.

Just explain why you want your output signal to be sysncronized among diferent corner simulations.

I need to adjust the delays between different clocks on different corners and that's why I need all clocks to be synchronized.

You must have a reset control pin in your clock divider circuit so that all D-flipflops always has the initial states that under your control. Initial condition set by simulators is not trustable in such type of circuits.

Another method is to use some kind of self-starting clock divider, so that no matter what the initial state the clock divider can work properly.

Attach .IC command to some node. It may be parametrized, such as
.IC V(nXXX)='VDD' V(nYYY)=0
.ALTER Slow
.PARAM VDD = '0.9*Vdd'
.Temp XXX
>LIB 'XXXX'
.ALTER Fast

just use reset in your flip

Status
Not open for further replies.