Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

fixedsys font not displaying correctly in earlier edaboard post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ads-ee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I just referenced a post I made earlier and discovered that my ASIC waveforms are now being displayed using a proportionally spaced font:
Capture.PNG
Looking at what is there when I "reply" to the message shows the original font:
Capture2.PNG

I've looked through the profile settings and don't have the WYSIWYG interface enabled just the enhanced. Was there a problem with placing the font tag inside of the code tags? When I originally submitted the post the font tag was working and the ASIC waveforms were legible.

- - - Updated - - -

Update:
IE 11 renders the page and font correctly (oddly it was throwing a bunch of errors, which later stopped for no discernible reason).
Firefox 32.0.3 renders it the same as Chrone 38.0.2125.111

Just now I visited the thread which you linked ('VHDL twos complement to decimal conversion').

Likewise the waveforms are unreadable on my computer. (Browser Safari 5.0.6, on PowerMac G5 running OS 10.5.8)

I don't know for sure, but it could be just a temporary glitch behind the scenes. Programmers at work might try this and that, as they improve the forum interface.

A more experienced moderator may be able to tell us more.

I checked a few browsers I have on Win8

OK Comodo Dragon Version of Chrome V 33.1.0.0
Not OK Slimjet Version 2.0.0.1 (based on Chromium 38.0.2125.104)
OK IE 10.0.9200.16466
not OK Chrome Version 38.0.2125.122 m

One thing is that fixedsys font is not a True Type font. It is a legacy font called vgafix.fon circa 1984 and TTF fonts '93 or later should be ok. Such as Courier, which should work in all browsers.

Although the page is defined with font options for the following, there must be a ruleset that over-rides this in the browser settings depending on the page rules in the 1st line https://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd;

font_names":"Arial;Arial Black;Arial Narrow;Book Antiqua;Century Gothic;Comic Sans MS;Courier New;Fixedsys;Franklin Gothic Medium;Garamond;Georgia;Impact;Lucida Console;Lucida Sans Unicode;Microsoft Sans Serif;Palatino Linotype;System;Tahoma;Times New Roman;Trebuchet

I don't understand the fontset rules but I think some fonts such as non-true type fonts may be deprecated by w3.org javascript rules.

font_names":"Arial;Arial Black;Arial Narrow;Book Antiqua;Century Gothic;Comic Sans MS;Courier New;Fixedsys;Franklin Gothic Medium;Garamond;Georgia;Impact;Lucida Console;Lucida Sans Unicode;Microsoft Sans Serif;Palatino Linotype;System;Tahoma;Times New Roman;Trebuchet

As I'm no font master I'm wondering out of the above fonts which ones are those ttf that will display correctly? Disregarding the Courier New, which looks terrible when used as ASCII waveform graphics. Isn't Lucida Console the only other mono spaced font in this list (I've used that as my go to font for years in Vim until I switched to Liberation Mono dotted 0s)?

Status
Not open for further replies.