Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Fastest method to read/write data into Nexys3 FPGA board

Status
Not open for further replies.

makanaky

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I want to ask about the fastest method to read/write data into Nexys3 FPGA board. I use the parallel port method but it's really slow (in the order of 50 bps ). I need communication of at least 10 Mbps .

Thanks

The nexys3 has a usb2 port on it, using the CY7C68013A. That should be good for a couple hundred Mbps sustained. All you need to implement is a FIFO and a FSM for the control signals and off you go. I have some old code floating around, but not much time these days. Doesn't digilent have example code for usb on the nexys3? Or if you cannot find that, look for usb stuff on the nexys2 because you can reuse that on nexys3.

Maybe a forum search?
https://www.edaboard.com/threads/284358/

Previously I went the 'java pain' +Ethernet way… since I had to build an FPGA that monitored the USB , I could not afford to have the USB littered up with traffic from the FPGA.

But if you want to get down and dirty, get an FTDI USB chip 2232HQ then string it into some of the FPGA lines. (one/ two channels)

you will find LOADS of serial implementations for FPGA, or even parallel, expect to be able to process data at the MBits with little or no overhead.

On the computer side you will find examples of FTDI drivers for processing data via their drivers , it's slightly less messy than CY68013A.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back