Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

VHDL inner component with inout port

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaiko

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
A is an inner component under to Hierarchy B
Port X of component A is defined as type "inout".
Port Y of component B is defined as type "in".

Can I connect both of them without changing the port type?

Just tried it with this code:

Code VHDL - [expand]
library ieee;
use ieee.std_logic_1164.all;
entity a is
  port (x : inout std_logic);
end entity;
architecture behave of a is
  signal z : std_logic;
begin
  z <= not x;
end architecture behave;

Code VHDL - [expand]
library ieee;
entity b is
  port (y : inout std_logic);
end entity;
architecture behave of b is
component a is
end component;
begin
  a_i : a port map (x => y);
end architecture behave;

This only works if y is defined as inout (as currently shown), otherwise the following error is reported when it's defined as an in:
ERROR: [VRFC 10-716] formal port x of mode inout cannot be associated with actual port y of mode in [b.vhd:11]
ERROR: [VRFC 10-145] y with mode 'in' cannot be updated [b.vhd:11]
ERROR: [VRFC 10-1504] unit behave ignored due to previous errors [b.vhd:6]

I wasn't sure about this so I made a testcase to check it. I actually figured it wouldn't work as VHDL is so strict about everything.

Reactions: shaiko

shaiko

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Try:

Code VHDL - [expand]
library ieee;
entity b is
  port (y : in std_logic);
end entity;
component a is
end component;
signal yy: std_logic;
begin
  yy <= y;
  a_i : a port map (x => yy);
end architecture behave;

In addition, the design compiler might require inout port x to be permanently tristated.

There's a real problem behind my question:

I'm using an IP core that has a port which is defined as type "inout" - this port behaves like output when the core is configured as master and input when the core is configured as slave. I however, intend to use it as slave only...

As the PCB is already manufactured, I have to connect this specific logic port to a specific FPGA ball.

The problem: this ball is a dedicated input ball! So I can't define the logical signal behind it as type "out" or "inout" - Quartus fails compilation during Place & Route.

The problem: this ball is a dedicated input ball! So I can't define the logical signal behind it as type "out" or "inout" - Quartus fails compilation during Place & Route.
The method sketched in my post should work in this case.

Try:

Code VHDL - [expand]
library ieee;
entity b is
  port (y : in std_logic);
end entity;
component a is
end component;
signal yy: std_logic;
begin
  yy <= y;
  a_i : a port map (x => yy);
end architecture behave;

In addition, the design compiler might require inout port x to be permanently tristated.

Thanks FvM, I ran out of time to test something like this (my simulation had finished), just tried it and this is definitely a solution I'll have to remember. I find this type of stuff to be incredibly annoying and hence my preference for Verilog (even with it's warts).

FvM,

How do you suggest to tristate x?
I have no access to it...

To make your design compile, x must not be tristated, at least not with Quartus. To be able to read an input signal, x must be tristated. I presume the slave configuration does just this.

I'm using internal tristate busses in a number of designs, utilizing that they are converted to multiplexers by the design compiler. An inout port that isn't either explicitely tristated or defined with a 'Z' initializercan cause problems in sythesis or simulation.

If it's inside the IP core and the tri-state control is under control of some registers in the core then it's likely to fail in the build process as you'll have a tri-state output that gets implemented that must be included in the design prior to the input only pin.

You might have to might have to write out a synthesis netlist and manually remove the tri-state cell prior to running the rest of the tools.

Lesson to learn from this...check/double-check/triple-check all I/O pins for both direction and pin type on the device. Supplemental lesson, don't let anyone else come up with a pinout that you don't get to approve before fabrication.

Good luck, hopefully I'm wrong but I don't think there is any easy way to get around this if you don't have access to the RTL of the core.

Regards

shaiko

I guess the design will compile and work in slave mode flawlessly. Otherwise please tell.
In case you are using some standard Altera IP, what is it?

To make your design compile, x must not be tristated, at least not with Quartus. To be able to read an input signal, x must be tristated. I presume the slave configuration does just this.

I'm using internal tristate busses in a number of designs, utilizing that they are converted to multiplexers by the design compiler. An inout port that isn't either explicitely tristated or defined with a 'Z' initializercan cause problems in sythesis or simulation.
Wow, you're lucky, I've had problems with this kind of stuff in the past, so I always make sure that there are no embedded tristates. Maybe the tools have gotten better, but I'm not willing to risk a project on that. The last time I had something like this I at least had access to the RTL and removed the tristate and brought the input/output/tri-state-control to the module ports. At the time the synthesis tool I was using wouldn't infer a multiplexer between the input and the inout with the tristate control as the select.

Which tool are you referring to? I've mostly been using Xilinx ISE/Vivado for the past 10 years and not much Quartus-II during that time frame.

My experience in this regard is solely with Quartus. So I can't say if there are additional problems brought up by ISE/Vivado snythesis.

But quite generally I can agree with your suggestion to avoid internal tristates.

Saying I'm using it in a number of designs shouldn't it be misunderstood as a suggestion. They are used in the design due to specific reasons, e.g. a bus has been designed as regular external processor bus but was changed to a "virtual" internal bus in a derived design. They nevertheless work if you understood the operation principle.

Solved it!

Epilog:
The core wakes up with the inout pin in question not necessarily tri-stated.
The reset value of that pin is set using another generic.

The slave/master configuration - kicks into place one cycle after reset according to a corresponding input port.
Setting the input port to '0' (slave mode) as I was doing wasn't enough.

As soon as I changed the generic that controls the reset value to drive 'Z' from the first cycle - compilation succeeded.

In other words, this makes the port at question wake up tri-stated and remain tri-stated.
My conclusion: in order for compilation to succeed - the inout MUST be explicitly tri-stated.

Solved it!
Good. Looks like the IP designers considered their work well.

Otherwise there would be still options to fix the "multiple drivers" issue. E.g. a dummy tristate disconnecting the external driver during reset.

shaiko

Status
Not open for further replies.