Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why Friis equation works

Status
Not open for further replies.

thranduil

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I have been wondering for a few years why Friis equation actually works.
Its Pr = Pt + Gt + Gr - PropLoss, and Pr will be in ideal case the power available at the output port of receiving antenna.
How is that possible when Pt is not 100% percent concentrated in direction of transmitting.
In the case of two isotrope antennas, if the first is fed wit x watts theu will be spread in all directions. So, how can you in that case receive Pt - PropLoss because this means that all poweer is concentrated to the receiving antenna.

I will feel iluminated if somebody could explain me this concept

The propLoss term takes into account isotropic radiators at each end, and the terms Gt & Gr correct for the actual gain of the tranmit & receive antennas.

if you look at the first equation listed in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friis_transmission_equation you see that they write proploss as (Lambda/(4*pi*R))^2, where R is the distance between the two antennas. This is the part of the equation that deals with the fact that energy is spreading in all directions (and specifically is decreasing by a factor of 1/R^2)

Yes, thak you. I feel much better now I must say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back