Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[ARM] USB Device Interface problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

nishu's

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
My lead has asked me to design a USB interface for a solar power manager(SPM) and this interface will take data from SPM and send it on USB to a another Microcontroller based device for Data-Logging. My efforts were to use a STM32F042 for SPM as it is capable of supporting USB device interface. Earlier I have only worked with USB/UART bridges solely for PC interfacing which required a driver on host side to acknowledge incoming data, so am not sure if stm32f042 can be used or not for interfacing with Data-logger System on USB. Please guide

My lead has asked me to design a USB interface for a solar power manager(SPM) and this interface will take data from SPM and send it on USB to a another Microcontroller based device for Data-Logging. My efforts were to use a STM32F042 for SPM as it is capable of supporting USB device interface. Earlier I have only worked with USB/UART bridges solely for PC interfacing which required a driver on host side to acknowledge incoming data, so am not sure if stm32f042 can be used or not for interfacing with Data-logger System on USB. Please guide
not used a STM32F042 but have used PIC24s and PIC32s for this type of data logging application.
how much data/second do you wish to transfer as this tends to determine the USB protocol to be used.
The USB HID protocol is simple and supports up to 64Kbytes/second. The advantage of HID is you don't need to implement a special driver for the PC - you make use of the built in HID driver used for mice, keyboards, etc.
You will need to write an application for the PC to receive your data and process it - this can be in C++, C#, VB.Net, etc.
check that there are sample PC programs for the STM32F042 which you can use as a template for your application

SPM is going to be interfaced to a another Embedded device with USB host functionality on board in place of a PC. is this sort of communication possible?

SPM is going to be interfaced to a another Embedded device with USB host functionality on board in place of a PC. is this sort of communication possible?
yes, assuming you can program the other embedded device with the equivalent host protocol to the device protocol on the SPM

Status
Not open for further replies.