Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] CMOS Challenge #2: Help fix this register

Status
Not open for further replies.

papanatas

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi again dear forum members,

Here's another CMOS challenge that I wanted to share with you. I have been fighting for a while with reverse engineering this cell register (presumed register) and haven't managed to get it to work correctly under irsim, if my understanding is correct this should be a flip flop type register, but I could be wrong, although having successfully recreated a couple of other registers i'm pretty sure this should be one too.

Below are three slides with information:

#1 contains a couple of photos with full M1/M2 metal and no metal, unfortunately I don't have a shot that will show the m1 interconnect alone... The left most element is a clock inverter.

#2 My own implementation of this cell in Magic. You can also download the magic and irsim files from here.

#3 The IRSIM output. As you will see the output does not make sense if this was a working flipflop.

Thanks for your help! ;-)

5iGjhll.png

LgdFZA0.png

9XqGmHt.png

Hi papanatas

I see output ok at pattern "01" but after that something look funny to me

@SunnySkyguy thanks for the feedback, that actually helped me looking at it with different eyes. It happens that this design requires a certain initialization: "data" and "a" need to be low when the clock begins, then "a" needs to go high in order for it to work.

After doing so the register works ok.

Thanks all for your feedback, case closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back