Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

WIFI Module for PIC and syncronization

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonyyy

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

I have created a board based on PIC15F876A running a finite state machine. I want to add a wifi module so that I can read/write command to this board via HTTP. I checked online several modules:

RN131
OpenPicus
CC3000
GA1000 Wi-Fi
EasyWiFi Board

Any other suggestion?

Can you also please help me to understand the best way to sync up the communication between the two pic ? The one on the module and the other on my board. This is a general question I am trying to answer but I was not able to find any valuable resource on the web. I would like to know the optimal way to let subsystems to communicate among them in a distributed system. In this case
I want to make the two pic communicate each other. What If one pic is trying to send data via SPI while the other is reading the input from a sensor?

Thanks a lot

the RN171 has an onboard TCPIP stack which is easy to use
https://www.microchip.com/wwwproducts/Devices.aspx?product=RN171

so long as you are using interrupts microcontrollers can carry out several IO tasks simultaneously (within limits) and DMA makes things even easier as it handles transfers between the IO device and memory without program intervention

but RN 171 is not a web server, but a client.

but RN 171 is not a web server, but a client.
have a look at the Microchip MRF modules
**broken link removed**

which use a TCP/IP stack on the host microcomputer and will support a HTTP server

**broken link removed**

which use a TCP/IP stack on the host microcomputer and will support a HTTP server

Thanks.

What is the difference between RN 171 an OpenPicus?
Do you have any schematic for interfacing the module with an exsisting PIC?

Thanks

**broken link removed**

Sure but it doesn't have a on-board TCP/IP stack like the RN171. An on-board stack is preferable (my opinion) as
I do not have to accommodate the stack on the host mcu, this saves a lot of space.

OpenPicus is a complete development system whereas the RN 171 is a wifi module. With openPicus you can make your own application and use the on-board PIC mcu to to do the job, whereas for a RN171 you need to add another mcu to control it.

Sure but it doesn't have a on-board TCP/IP stack like the RN171. An on-board stack is preferable (my opinion) as
I do not have to accommodate the stack on the host mcu, this saves a lot of space.

OpenPicus is a complete development system whereas the RN 171 is a wifi module. With openPicus you can make your own application and use the on-board PIC mcu to to do the job, whereas for a RN171 you need to add another mcu to control it.

Thanks.
1. How to interface RN171 to a PIC
2. When 1 is completed are there any limitation compared with OpenPicus? If I understood correctly
OpenPicus doesn't have an onboard TCP stack and can be used as http server ( I need to connect to the board from remote computer so I need to board listening for incoming http request). if I use the RN171 I should first establish a connection to the computer when data shoud be sent from board.

the RN171 has both UART and SPI interfacxes
the simplest way is to have a PIC with two UART - connect one to a PC for debugging and the other to the RN171

there is sample code available from
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back