Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to connect a laptop to an old tv?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adriandwor

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I'd like to connect my laptop to tv. And I'm a little confused from info i found on the net.
I have an old tv, that has two connectors:
One is S-composite in front of the tv (red yellow white)
In the back there is 2 SCART I think
with 21 pins each, one saying AV1, decoder, the other AV2 recorder.

My laptop has two connectors:
7-pin mini-DIN, and vga,

My other laptop has vga and hdmi,

It's not necessary to be able to connect all laptops but perhaps just one with vga/hdmi.

What are my possible options? And where can I buy necessary cables and devices?

Id like to watch movies from laptop on an old tv.

I'd appreciate any explanations. I read a little elsewhere on this topic and am confused about the process.

Thanks a lot

I'd like to connect my laptop to tv. And I'm a little confused from info i found on the net.
I have an old tv, that has two connectors:
One is S-composite in front of the tv (red yellow white)
In the back there is 2 SCART I think
with 21 pins each, one saying AV1, decoder, the other AV2 recorder.

My laptop has two connectors:
7-pin mini-DIN, and vga,

My other laptop has vga and hdmi,
I guess you need to have common protocols on both sides,that is on the laptop side,as well as the TV side so that data communication can take place without any glitch(es).Now on your TV,you have SCART and on your laptop,you have VGA.Unless there is a device which can convert SCART signals to VGA signals,it seems unlikely..
But,in this system,how will you decide which one is the master and which one is the slave?
If it works,you can try this out...
https://www.techradar.com/news/television/how-do-i-connect-my-laptop-to-my-tv-902693

The 7p mini DIN should be S-video out. There's a good chance that it can be connected to your TV with a standard adapter cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.