Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Altium, pad with fill, assigned no-ERC, reports "short" in design rule check

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff_k

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Altium, pad with fill, assigned no-ERC, reports "short" in design rule check

When I assign pads (pins) with attached fills as no-erc, they are reported as "short-circuit" in design rule check.

Anyone know how I can solve this?

I have done "Design"->"Netlist"->"Update Free Primitives From Component Pads"
That fixed all the pads assigned to a net, but not the pads assigned "no-ERC".

Thanks,
Jeff

Attachments

• sch_showing_6and10_erc.png
    sch_showing_6and10_erc.png
    47.2 KB · Views: 84
  • board_layout_showing_shorts.png
    board_layout_showing_shorts.png
    59.7 KB · Views: 119
  • footprint_pad_and_fill.png
    footprint_pad_and_fill.png
    42.7 KB · Views: 125
  • drc_listing_shorts.png
    drc_listing_shorts.png
    17.4 KB · Views: 86

Re: Altium, pad with fill, assigned no-ERC, reports "short" in design rule check

Hi Jeff,
This seems to be a common problem, and I've run into it many times. I don't think it respects the No-ERC marker. It seems that if there is a net connected to the pin it will combine the copper as one pad, but if you don't have a net connected it produces the error. I believe there is a way to do this properly (see https://techdocs.altium.com/display/ADOH/Creating+a+Custom+Pad+Shape), but I've not been able to figure out how to do it cleanly from the footprint, so that it doesn't produce errors in the PCBDOC.

The best solution I have is to use Design -> Netlist -> Configure Physical Nets. Hope that helps.

Angelo

Reactions: jeff_k

jeff_k

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Re: Altium, pad with fill, assigned no-ERC, reports "short" in design rule check

The fill need to be assigned with the same NET of underlying pad.

CncHobby, I don't think you can do that in the PCB library editor, and in the PCBDOC, this pin has no net - that is the issue. If the pin was wired to a net the violation wouldn't appear. Also you would need to explode the footprint to free primitives in order to change the net of the fill. But in this case they would both already have the net of "No Net", so the net doesn't need to change, and the violation should go away. Using Configure Physical Nets essentially does what you are saying, without having to explode the component, which can make it more of a hassle to work with the component.

Reactions: jeff_k

jeff_k

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

Thank you ARQuattr !!!

I did "Configure Physical Nets" and the error is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back