Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[PIC] ADC alternative MUX for 8 inputs - cross talk of signals

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritchie888

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm trying to sample from 8 channels using my dspic33fj128gp802 chip. I've had four channels working fine up until now, but trying to use the alternative MUX switch isn't going to plan.

I've tried to change the settings so that the DMA interrupt is polled after each second sample/conversion, in a hope that I can fill an eight word DMA buffer four words at a time, i.e. four words from SampleA (CH0 - AN9, CH123 - AN0,1,2), then four words from SampleB (CH0 - AN10, CH123 - AN3,4,5), then DMA interrupt poll for me to process the data.

My settings are below:

Code:
AD1CON1 = 0; // Set everything to zero to start with.
AD1CON1bits.ADON = 0; // Turn ADC off.
AD1CON1bits.ADSIDL = 1; // Stop module operation in idle mode.
AD1CON1bits.ADDMABM = 1; // DMA buffers are written in the order of conversion.
AD1CON1bits.AD12B = 0; // Set to 10bit mode.
AD1CON1bits.FORM = 3; // Set data output to signed fractional.
AD1CON1bits.SSRC = 2; // use timer3
AD1CON1bits.SIMSAM = 1; // Collect samples from channels 0, 1, 2, 3 simultaneously.
AD1CON1bits.ASAM = 1; // Sampling begins when SAMP bit is set 

AD1CON2 = 0; // Set everything to zero to start with.
AD1CON2bits.VCFG = 0; // Converter voltage ref. set to AVdd and AVss.
AD1CON2bits.CSCNA = 0; // Input scan select bit. set to do not scan.
AD1CON2bits.CHPS = 2; // Converts CH0, CH1, CH2, and CH3
AD1CON2bits.BUFS = 0; // Buffer fill status (invalid as BUFM is 0);
AD1CON2bits.SMPI = 1; // ADC interrupt is generated after every second sample/conversion.
AD1CON2bits.BUFM = 0; // Buffer fill mode. set to always start filling from start address.
AD1CON2bits.ALTS = 1; // Alternate input sample mode. set to flip between sample A on first sample and sample B on next sample.

AD1CON3 = 0; // Set everything to zero to start with.
AD1CON3bits.ADRC = 0; // ADC conversion clock derived from system clock.
AD1CON3bits.SAMC = 0; // Auto sample time bits, TAD, set to 0.
AD1CON3bits.ADCS = 4; // ADC conversion clock set to 2. 3 * TCY = TAD.

AD1CON4 = 0; // set everything to zero to start with.
AD1CON4bits.DMABL = 0; // allocates 1 word of buffer to each analogue input.

AD1CHS123 = 0; // everything set to zero to start with.
AD1CHS123bits.CH123NB = 0; // channel 1,2,3 negative input set to VREFL. sample B.
AD1CHS123bits.CH123SB = 1; // channel 1,2,3 positive input set to AN3, AN4, AN5, respectively. Sample B.
AD1CHS123bits.CH123NA = 0; // channel 1,2,3 negative input set to VREFL. sample A.
AD1CHS123bits.CH123SA = 0; // channel 1,2,3 positive input set to AN0, AN1, AN2, respectively. sample A.

AD1CHS0 = 0; // set everything to zero to start with.
AD1CHS0bits.CH0NB = 0; // channel 0 negative input, set by CH0NA. sample B.
AD1CHS0bits.CH0SB = 10; // chanel 0 positive input, AN10 (RB14). sample B.
AD1CHS0bits.CH0NA = 0; // chanel 0 negative input, for sample A. set to VREFL.
AD1CHS0bits.CH0SA = 9; // channel 0 positive input, AN9 (RB15). sample A.

AD1CSSL = 0; // input scan register set to zero as not using it.

AD1PCFGLbits.PCFG0 = 0; // AN0/RA0 set to analogue.
AD1PCFGLbits.PCFG1 = 0; // AN1/RA1 set to analogue.
AD1PCFGLbits.PCFG2 = 0; // AN2/RB0 set to analogue.
AD1PCFGLbits.PCFG3 = 0; // AN3/RB1 set to analogue.
AD1PCFGLbits.PCFG4 = 0; // AN4/RB2 set to analogue.
AD1PCFGLbits.PCFG5 = 0; // AN5/RB3 set to analogue.
AD1PCFGLbits.PCFG9 = 0; // AN9/RB15 set to analogue.
AD1PCFGLbits.PCFG10 = 0; // AN10/RB14 set to analogue.

Timer 3 is set up to poll at 8kHz, DMA is set up:

Code:
DMA0CONbits.AMODE = 0; // Configure DMA for Register indirect with post increment
DMA0CONbits.MODE = 2; // Configure DMA for Continuous Ping-Pong mode

DMA0PAD = (int) &ADC1BUF0; // receive ADC data from ADC buffer
DMA0CNT = (8 - 1); // DMA channel transfer count register

DMA0REQ = 13; // ADC mode

DMA0STA = __builtin_dmaoffset(ADCBufferA); // DMA channel start address reg A
DMA0STB = __builtin_dmaoffset(ADCBufferB); // DMA channel start address reg A

IFS0bits.DMA0IF = 0; // Clear the DMA interrupt flag bit
IEC0bits.DMA0IE = 1; // Set the DMA interrupt enable bit

DMA0CONbits.CHEN = 1; // start DMA

with:

Code:
int ADCBufferA[8] __attribute__((space(dma)));
int ADCBufferB[8] __attribute__((space(dma)));

Now this code works to an extent, I do get a response from each of the eight inputs, however for the CH123 inputs I'm getting cross talk. For example if all the lines are at 0V and I put a 3.3V signal to CH1 for SampleA (AN0) I will also get a response on CH1 for SampleB (AN3). It won't be exactly 3.3V but will be around 2.5V or something which it shouldn't. This also happens on the CH0 (SampleA+B) but to a much lesser extent.

What am I missing?

have used dsPIC33 ADCs in various modes but never the configuration you are attempting

have you had a look thru theDocumentation and Software section of the dspic33fj128gp802 page
https://www.microchip.com/wwwproducts/Devices.aspx?product=dsPIC33FJ128GP802

also Microchip code examples
**broken link removed**

may be worth putting a post on Microchip's ADC forum
https://www.microchip.com/forums/f37.aspx

Hi Horace, thanks for your reply.

I've tried all that I'm afraid. There is some example code for alternative channels but it hasn't proven to be much use. I've also gone through the datasheets for the PIC, the ADC modules, and the DAC modules. I've even posted this exact question on their forums! All good suggestions though.

May I ask what configurations you might have tried? Have you ever attempted to use the alternating mode of the PIC? Perhaps I'm missing something on the hardware side of things. The ADC pins are bare, in that I've got nothing but a wire coming from them. Do you use as decoupling or smoothing capacitors on your ADC pins?

I have worked on dspic30f,
when using MUX setting you have to use scanselect (AD1CON2bits.CSCNA) to high for scanning multiple channels . then bits on AD1CHS0 will be ignored.

I have worked on dspic30f,
when using MUX setting you have to use scanselect (AD1CON2bits.CSCNA) to high for scanning multiple channels . then bits on AD1CHS0 will be ignored.

Hi Raady. I'm not using the scanning feature. I'm using all channels (CH0, 1, 2, 3) on both SampleA and SampleB. As I know the pins of interest (AN0-5, AN9, AN10) I figured there isn't any point using the scan feature.

Thanks anyway.

From the above conversion , I understood you had problem with MUX setting

if you want to read multiple channel on MUX , channel scan must be enabled,
and if you dont want to use scanning, you can read only one adc pin (ANx) on particular MUX.
try to read a channel of muxA(say CH0) and muxB(say CH3) by selecting your adc pin(ANx) in register ADxCHSx.

if you want to use ch123 check the adc module diagram , what adc pin(ANx) you can select for reading.
post#1
four words from SampleA (CH0 - AN9, CH123 - AN0,1,2), then four words from SampleB (CH0 - AN10, CH123 - AN3,4,5)
In this your have already selected three mux's, and you are using ADxCHS123 so check out the combinations of selections(ANx) in the register.

- - - Updated - - -

I havent worked using DMA

From the above conversion , I understood you had problem with MUX setting

if you want to read multiple channel on MUX , channel scan must be enabled,
and if you dont want to use scanning, you can read only one adc pin (ANx) on particular MUX.
try to read a channel of muxA(say CH0) and muxB(say CH3) by selecting your adc pin(ANx) in register ADxCHSx.

if you want to use ch123 check the adc module diagram , what adc pin(ANx) you can select for reading.

In this your have already selected three mux's, and you are using ADxCHS123 so check out the combinations of selections(ANx) in the register.

- - - Updated - - -

I havent worked using DMA

Thanks again for your response. Reading from eight channels in the way I'm trying is possible without scanning. In the ADC datasheet for this PIC (attached) page 59 it actually goes on to give an example for eight channel recording; exactly what I want to do. However they only give so much information and it's fairly minimal, I'm still not getting the results I expected. In their example they do say to disable the scan mode though. Perhaps we're thinking different things? I imagine you think I'm trying to scan four inputs on one channel (i.e. CH0) in which case I would need to scan.

I've tried changing the VCAP to a closer value to the datasheet and changed the decoupling caps too. Pretty sure it's not a hardware issue.

I've noticed, but slowing down the PIC processing speed and the ADC clock that the opposing pin to the one I'm applying the 3.3V to (input 1 on MUXA to input 1 MUX B) it appears to be oscillating at a very high frequency. Reducing all the clock speeds on the PIC is slowing down the oscillations but I haven't been able to removing them yet.

Attachments

• ADC.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 107

Would the decoupling caps, the VCAP, or the fact I have no caps on the ADC pins have anything to do with it? I have decoupling caps and VCAP values close to what the datasheet specifies, but they don't have a low EDR or their voltage ratings are above what is specified.

I've found that slowing down the PIC processing speed and changing some other variables (such as the ADC processing speed) have a large impact on the problem. It doesn't remove the voltage on the incorrect pins but it does reduce the problem. What I'm seeing is an oscillation on the incorrect pins but have yet to hook it up to an oscilloscope to find out what frequency.

Any suggestions would be great!

Status
Not open for further replies.