Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Switchable pullup/pulldown resistors

Status
Not open for further replies.

wlamers

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a digital input to an embedded system that needs switchable pullup and pulldown resistors. The input has nothing more than ESD protection and a 3.3v clamp diode to prevent high voltage input signals to be saturated. The switching frequency is max 1 Mhz. The pullup and pulldown resistor have to be switched on and off using 2 GPIO pins on a microcontroller. Can I use some sort of a transistor or MOSFET for doing this? What do I have to look out for? Thanks for your input!

If you don't need a strong pull-up/down, you could simply attach a resistor to a single GPIO pin, with the other end tied to your input. This is assuming the same value for pull-up and pull-down can be used, otherwise you can use both GPIO with one resistor on each. One GPIO (the pull-up one) would go high while the other is set as high-impedance (an input), or the other way around. Again this assumes the pull-up/down current doesn't exceed the maximum GPIO pin output current. Otherwise would drive external transistors with those two GPIO.

Hi,

switching frequency: you mean signal switching frequency? (not pullup/pulldown switching frequency)

i´d do it like ARQuattr posted.

But i wonder why you talk about TWO GPIO pins.
Are there multiple signal IOs, where you want all to pullup or all to pulldown?

If you can´t go the way of ARQuattr then a simple drawing would clarify.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back