Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why did the Laser diode got damaged ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nvd

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Laser diode

I was using LASER diode for the serial communication between two computers using the standard serial port. Since the power supply was +12V, I used 7805 regulator to drop the voltage to +5 volts. Then I used series resistors to drop additional voltage so that the voltage across the LASER diode should be +3V when it drew 30mA of current. It worked at lower baud rates say 110 but as I used rate of 9600, it startd to give less light. I thought it due to the duty factor as specified by the data pulses but LASER got dim and did not give any intense beam anymore.
Can I revive it? Why did it get damaged? Was it 7805 as I didn't use a capacitor at its output (+5V).

Re: Laser diode

Instead of resistors to drop voltage from 5V to 3 use 3 silicone diodes in series (≈2V voltage drop, 1N4002 or similar) .. and try again.
This will not limit the pulse current as the resistors do ..

Hi nvd,
Can you please upload the circuit diagram of ur serial communication using
Laser diode here??

HI!
Dear u can also use the bridge rectifier for the best results. it will also protect your circuitry and sensors. Also try to change your current limmitations and then check the results.

Please upload your schematic! Debugging will be more easier for us.

Also look for the load regulation of your 5V supply. Maybe this limits your bandwidth.

Status
Not open for further replies.