Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

GPIO pins in embedded board

Status
Not open for further replies.

nahidalam

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am exploring the capabilities of GPIO pins in the embedded development boards.

Is it possible to connect 1 GPIO pin to multiple devices? Do I need to use some sort of port expander.

Generally speaking,

When configured as output, it is possible to drive multiple destinations with a single pin (without exceeding the maximum current drain of the port of course).

When configured as input, only one source can actively drive the pin - otherwise, conjunction will occur.

This is the general rule (exception do exsist).

I am exploring the capabilities of GPIO pins in the embedded development boards.

Is it possible to connect 1 GPIO pin to multiple devices? Do I need to use some sort of port expander.
using wired-OR, open collector or tristate techniques can enable multiple devices to use a common line, e.g.
https://www.ni.com/white-paper/3544/en/

if using an microcontroller GPIO pin you have to ensure that it has this capability

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back