Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Multiple input (184 input) signal to parallel port

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
multiples of 184

Hai......

Have anybody can help me??

How to interface with PC using paraller port, i have 184 logical input signal but parraller port only have 5 input....

Thy..

program pic16f87a

Probably serial port would be easier to implement ..

Anyhow, in both cases (serial or parallel port) you will need a microcontroller, address decoder and a lots of 8-bit (or more) Tri-state buffers .. connected to the microcontroller data bus .. Here each bit (input) will be scanned by the micro and a 23-byte sentence (184-bits) will be sent trough parallel or serial port to the PC ..

IanP said:
Probably serial port would be easier to implement ..

Anyhow, in both cases (serial or parallel port) you will need a microcontroller, address decoder and a lots of 8-bit (or more) Tri-state buffers .. connected to the microcontroller data bus .. Here each bit (input) will be scanned by the micro and a 23-byte sentence (184-bits) will be sent trough parallel or serial port to the PC ..

What microcontroller you mean?? izit PIC.. I still cannot understand how to connected the input to microcontroller??

Thy..

Can be PIC or any other microcontroller ..
A microcontroller has several 8-bits PORTS. To one of these ports you will connect as many as possible of 8-bit TRi-state buffers (example 74HC244). The micro will address each of thes buffers one-by-one and read its inputs (8 at a time), store this temporary in is memory and read next buffer, till the last, 23-rd buffer will be read. Now you have all 184 inputs stored in the micro memory so now the micro is ready to send this 23-byte sentence to PC ..

Conceptiual diagram attached ..

IanP said:
Can be PIC or any other microcontroller ..
A microcontroller has several 8-bits PORTS. To one of these ports you will connect as many as possible of 8-bit TRi-state buffers (example 74HC244). The micro will address each of thes buffers one-by-one and read its inputs (8 at a time), store this temporary in is memory and read next buffer, till the last, 23-rd buffer will be read. Now you have all 184 inputs stored in the micro memory so now the micro is ready to send this 23-byte sentence to PC ..

The "Address Decode" is control by one IC izit, what IC izit SAA-1099, can u recommend ??
How micro store the memory after read all the 23 buffer, if i using C language how to write??

Thy..

Using another microcontroller port you can address up to 255 devices ..
Here you need to adress "only" 23, so you can use 2 of CD4514 16-non-inverting decoders ..

Microcontrollers have internal registers and several memory locations. You can easily store there 23 bytes .. (usually much more than that) ..

IanP said:
Using another microcontroller port you can address up to 255 devices ..
Here you need to adress "only" 23, so you can use 2 of CD4514 16-non-inverting decoders ..

Microcontrollers have internal registers and several memory locations. You can easily store there 23 bytes .. (usually much more than that) ..

If i using 16f84 or 16f87xA microcontroller using C language can do it or not.... do you know how to write the program??

Thy...

This is a task that can be performed by almost any microcontroller: PIC16f87A can do it, 8051 can do it, .... plenty to choose from and C is here as good as Assembly .. Your preference.

IanP said:
This is a task that can be performed by almost any microcontroller: PIC16f87A can do it, 8051 can do it, .... plenty to choose from and C is here as good as Assembly .. Your preference.

Do you know how to write the program using C language??
Do you have any direct contect you method like MSN, ICQ, or mail.....?

I think much easier would be to connect one CPLD to parallel port with required number of pins. It will be fast <10$ solution of your problem.

Also, read this thread on 8052.com forum:
h**p://www.8052.com/forum/read.phtml?id=85155

They discuss near the same question.

Ace-X said:
I think much easier would be to connect one CPLD to parallel port with required number of pins. It will be fast <10$ solution of your problem.

Also, read this thread on 8052.com forum:
h**p://www.8052.com/forum/read.phtml?id=85155

They discuss near the same question.

Do you know how to write the program using PIC in C language??

You suggest me to use 8052 uchip...... this uchip i did't use before...

Thy..

Added after 17 minutes:

IanP said:

Thy..

Help said:

I suggested to use CPLD - it has nothing connected to PIC or C programming.

Help said:

Again, wrong. I suggested to check similar topic on www.8052.com. They discuss there many solutions (including CPLD) for problem exactly like yours. Read this discussion - it will give your wide look on possible solutions, and their pros/cons.

Ace-X said:
Help said:

I suggested to use CPLD - it has nothing connected to PIC or C programming.

Help said:

Again, wrong. I suggested to check similar topic on www.8052.com. They discuss there many solutions (including CPLD) for problem exactly like yours. Read this discussion - it will give your wide look on possible solutions, and their pros/cons.

The CPLD need any programming to control it?? Izit easy to write the program, what software to program it??

You could use a series of cascaded PISO shift
registers, such as the 74HC165. Do a google
search and you'll come up with many sample
circuits to give you some ideas.

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back