Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Storing electronic components and devices in cold environment

Status
Not open for further replies.

sairfan1

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I setup my electronics lab in my basement, as i live in area where temperature goes too low in winter, i have plan to use electric heater in winter. but while im not sitting in my lab temperature of room may go to low from 0 to -20 C.

I know there is temperature limit defined for common electronic components like ICs, TFT, LCD and devices like Power supply, oscilloscope, multimeter, Laptop so on, but still want to know if some one have experience storing and using electronics in low temperature does it may damage too? what is temperature limit for safe side?

thanks.

Cold temp is usually not hazardous to electronics except for some discharged batteries, etc, but condensation can cause problems for some devices from rapid heating past 0'C with moisture leakage causing poor operation etc.

I grew up in -40'deg winters and never worried about it. But consumer products rated for 0-70'C are due to moisture ingress issues. for condensation during operation., storage is the same as industrial temp.

just a suggestion

its the condensation that is a problem and mole growth.
but components can be stored ok if they are vacuum packed.
or otherwise stored with silica jell packs.

Thanks so same is the case with devices like Laptop, oscilloscope etc. ?

Hi,

I theory the components i.e. chips are to a certain degree hygrophile get a certain ammount of water from the enviroment-i.e. air. If temps are below freezing could form crystals and do some mechanical damage to more sensitive components when water crystalises-capacitors are rated -40C most cases -55C max . Usually low temp air is dry as all the water is allready crystalised-with no wind :). As mentioned above storrage temp is not the problem as much as there are not many places where temps are very low but water could be, so once its a dry place doesnt mater much once you dont hit the minimum.Running in low temp is also a huge issue. For laptops mechanical drives can be sensitive to low temps i.e. -40 max storring temp according to some sources-see manufacturers specs as they vary , Probably the most sensitive phase is when taken out of storrage and put back into use! I remember in old days the CRT tv's brought from outside storrage(winter-25C) needed overnight room temp before switched on,
Hope this helps
Syl

I suggest to review manufacturer specifications first.

Most electronic devices, e.g. semiconductors, but also electrolytic capacitors are specified for storage temperatures down to -65 °C. Many batteries are only specified for minimal storage temperatures of -20 °C, so that's probably the weak point.

Regarding condensation, it occurs when the cold instruments are brought into a warmer enviroment, not during storage in temperature equilibrium.

Most electronic devices, e.g. semiconductors, but also electrolytic capacitors are specified for storage temperatures down to -65 °C. Many batteries are only specified for minimal storage temperatures of -20 °C, so that's probably the weak point.

Regarding condensation, it occurs when the cold instruments are brought into a warmer enviroment, not during storage in temperature equilibrium.
Forgot about the batteries Well done

You mention an oscilloscope. I kept my oscilloscope in a humid basement for a while. When I went to use it, arcing occurred inside the main power transformer. It was a winding which provided 6.3VAC for the CRT. It shared a connection to the 1kV wire. Once the arcing started, it would not go away (even after moving the scope to a dry room). To cure it I had to install a separate 6.3V transformer.

just a suggestion

temperature equilibrium and how is this archived?

Status
Not open for further replies.