Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Creating EPCQ Block in Cyclone V

Status
Not open for further replies.

lemart92

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
All - I'm using the Cyclone V GT Development kit with the MAX V as the controller:

https://www.altera.com/products/devkits/altera/kit-cyclone-v-gt.html#figure1

We have done the modifications to the MAX V and the Cyclone to get the active serial working. It doesn't work that way out of the box. The MAX V requires a change in the vhdl code to get the active serial to work. Plus SW5 on the board needs to be put into ASx4 mode. Altera posts this in their knowledge solution area -

https://www.altera.com/support/kdb/solutions/rd02112014_88.html

So we now have the board booting up with the Cyclone V being programmed via active serial configuration from the EPCQ256 device. We used JTAG to load the data into the EPCQ256 device. There's also a FET swtch between the Cyclone and the EPCQ that has to be enabled. Got that working.

Now comes the tricky part. We're trying to see if we can emulate the EPCQ256 functionality in the MAX V and see if we can pump the Cyclone V using the same active serial method. The kit comes up out of the box using FPP to program the Cyclone V from the MAX V. So the lines are already there. We just need to re-purpose them and pull an EPCQ block into the MAX V. The MAX V already has some flash hanging off of it with the Cyclone V code.

We're using the Micron Serial NOR Flash N25Qxxx Verilog model to help us understand what's going to be needed in the MAX V to emaulate the EPCQ device. The Micron model simulates the configuration and does pretty much all of the reads, writes, quad reads, etc..

Has anyone done this or anything similar? Any help or resource pointers would be greatly appreciated!

I am having a same problem with the Altera Cyclone VE development board. Can you please share the hardware mods required on your board to make it work other then reprogramming the Max V and setting the MSEL switches.

I see two resistors on the EPCQ_nCS line and EPCQ_DCLK lines that need to be moved, I do not see a FET switch on this board. The resistors are moved to EPCQ side but the programmer is still failing with the message " cannot recognize silicone id for device 1."

I am using the .jic file. I tried both x1 and x4 modes. Any help or recommendations would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back