Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[PIC] pic microcontroller 16f or 18f

Status
Not open for further replies.

sha333

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i'm going to start a project using microcotroller.according to the paper they used pic16f87xa ...is it compulsry to use same microcontroller or we can use other pic18f... tell me the difference between 16f and 18 f pic controllers

gave a look at Microchip application node AN716 "Migrating Designs from PIC16C74A/74B to PIC18C442"
https://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/AppNotes/00716a.pdf

if you are changing from a PIC16 why not go to a PIC24?
what IO functionality does the project require?
are you buying a development board or building your own PCB?

Last edited:

i'm going to start a project using microcotroller.according to the paper they used pic16f87xa ...is it compulsry to use same microcontroller or we can use other pic18f... tell me the difference between 16f and 18 f pic controllers

Hi,

If a project uses a particular chip, like the very popular 16F877A family then I would suggest you stay with that until you learn a lot more.

Other series of chips like the 18Fs could be used, but the program code will have to be slightly modified to run.

Pic18Fs are generally a better chip to use, but you will find lots more web help / circuits / projects based on the 16F chips.

Status
Not open for further replies.