Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can someone make me a Super Pulsed Laser diode driver with Power supply circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozgur85

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone:)

I know there are electronic geniouses here and can make a high power laser driver+PS circuit with no problem at all.

I have been wanting to buy a super pulsed laser device but i can't find them or they are very very expensive.

I want to make a device with 4 Osram SPL_PL90_3 lasers. 60W peak power each. 100ns pulses. Duty cycle %0,1. Appropriate pulse frequency to achieve 60mW average power.

I can buy the laser diodes. I want to "buy" a driver with PS circuit (which can be put in a box that has 51mm x 81mm x 30mm dimensions.) from YOU (someone who can do it!) with paypal payment.

I have two of those boxes. I can find bigger boxes also but not much big. I will glue the 2 boxes together. I will drill 4 holes for the laser diodes. I will put the driver with the PS inside the other box.

So i want that the only thing i must do is to connect the lasers cables to the driver. And connect the PS's cables to AC. I guess you understand what i mean.

Here is the example:
**broken link removed**

Can someone do this so i buy it from him?

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, the device should work at 110V and 220V..

60W Not possible with these parts. Try 10W. Increasing power beyond this is just lossy .

Thank you for your answer:) Why did you say it's impossible? How is this man doing this device? Also Osram SPL_PL90_3 laser diode peak power is up to 75W.

I found someone who could help me in Turkey but he said he can't do a small power supply to fit inside the box. It would be much bigger. But how this guy on ebay does this? That means there is a way..

Last edited:

Power supplies are not agile enough to pulse a laser diode
in the ways people usually want to. More normal is a bilevel
current mode driver (low = barely above lasing threshold,
high = whatever you're trying to get). Two parallel paths,
one DC (low) and the other a hot fast one (high) seems
to be the easy way to do it. Your supply just needs to
deliver a voltage surplus w/ current headroom to spare.
I wouldn't try to make one do the other's job.

Hello freebird:) Thank you for the answer.

So, is this guy using a bilevel current mode driver? Please can someone make me what i need so i can run these 4 lasers at the specs i want. Unfortunately i can't make these.

Thank you

No information at all in that eBay listing.

It may be that for 30-40nS a simple bang-bang drive could
do. I found some interesting white papers by Googling
"laser diode pulse driver schematic", one from icHaus was
showing ~12nS pulses and 1nS risetimes. My remarks are
more from >1GBPS optical stuff, where you need to do
better on rise/fall so can't wait for the lasing to come up
and get stable. For a burner, maybe you care less.

Thank you for your answer:) Why did you say it's impossible? How is this man doing this device? Also Osram SPL_PL90_3 laser diode peak power is up to 75W.

I found someone who could help me in Turkey but he said he can't do a small power supply to fit inside the box. It would be much bigger. But how this guy on ebay does this? That means there is a way..

https://www.mouser.com/ds/2/311/SPL PL85-318929.pdf
contrary to your opinion, OSRAM states in the datasheet it is a 10W peak laser, no more. You can pump more current into it, but efficacy has already started to decline so that any more current would get dumped into heat which drops the efficacy even more. So if you want to believe 75W for each device will work, ask for a Lumen certification test report. It's bogus.

absolute maximum spec here is 13W peak.

This laser diode is not SPL_PL90_3. It is SPL PL85..

- - - Updated - - -

All i need is to find someone who can do this:

The pulsed laser driver circuit consists of a capacitor with capacitance C and a switch
which discharges the charge of the capacitors to the laser. The charging of the capacitor is done between two laser pulses.
As switch a MOSFET or an avalanche transistor can be used. Figure 2 shows a schematic pulser circuit using an avalanche
transistor as switch.

The pdf document:

Attachments

• Standard Pulsed Laser Diode (1).pdf
    119.7 KB · Views: 139

There's a difference between what a manufacturer will stand
behind, and what a joker on eBay who won't even publish a
spec sheet might sell. You don't have a basis to compare the
ratings, even if it's the exact same device, without "shared
values". Osram probably wants 10+ years and no field returns.
This eBay guy, once Western Union coughs it up on the other
end, he's good.

I'm sure it's possible to make a device with Osram SPL_PL90_3 laser diode at the specs i wrote in my first message. Is there anyone who can do this?

Thank you

If possible i want someone to make this by hand so i buy from him continuously if i see it works good. I will pay for the effort you make..

I found lipo batteries which can send enough amperage to the diodes. (up to 260A - burst)

The batteries work at 11.1V. The diode work at 9V..

No one could make one with his hands without much effort? Please:cry:

I am sure that shouldn't be too hard for someone who has knowledge and experience. This guy on ebay is making these devices fast.

- - - Updated - - -

And his devices are hand made

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back