Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Output of 5Vdc Power Supply is Fluctuating from 5Vdc to 8Vdc

Status
Not open for further replies.

RodulfTheRedNose

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi Guys,

I have a question; recently i encounter this Power Supply failure that the output voltage is fluctuating, expected output voltage should be 5Vdc but then, this power supply will suddenly increase it's output voltage to 7.3Vdc then drops off to 5V.

What could be the possible root cause of this failure? Can anyone help me or give me some idea?

Hi,

maybe the power supply needs a minimum output current as base load to work properly.

Klaus

Hi Mr. Klaus,

Thanks for the reply. Actually i made a proactive replacement of the power switching transistor (TO-3) package of this supply and after that the power supply works well, the 5V does not fluctuate anymore...('', how does it happen? I tried to isolate the power transistor, in terms of diode checking all 5 TO-3 are all working or not shorted/open reading. ('', but still have a lot of questions in mind...

Status
Not open for further replies.