Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Excessive use of "moving" threads between forum areas

Status
Not open for further replies.

ads-ee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Moderators,

The excessive moving of posts that are misplaced in the wrong area seems to result in destruction of answers to the original post once it is moved. I noticed that a post that I and another member responded to has moved and those responses have now been deleted. (https://www.edaboard.com/threads/321764/) Why should I bother taking time to respond to a misplaced post and have it end up being deleted?

Why should I even respond to any post if it might get deleted if a moderator "decides" it's posted to the wrong area. This kind of heavy handed management is misguided and alienates people like me.

Feel free to reprimand those who misplace posts on a regular basis (or even suspend their accounts) and warn those new members to be careful where they place their posts, but this wholesale moving of post should be immediately put to a stop. I'm sure this is a direct result of all those new moderators that were recently put in charge.

Regards

The usual procedure in the case of duplicates, in order to avoid loss of content is just delete the duplicate thread ( the last ) and move the replies to the first thread created.

At these cases is also evaluated the discussion subject, and having the possibility of confusion, the best decision is, unfortunately ends up keeping both threads opened.

In the specific case of the thread you mentioned, I found the deleted thread on records, but no answer there, apparently as if there were actually unanswered.

Could you confirm if the reply was really published ?

Could you confirm if the reply was really published ?
How would I accomplish that?
I suppose this could have something to do with my phone. Maybe the post didn't get submitted, when I tapped the reply button. It sure looked like it did...

I guess I can come up with a new reply :-(

Ok, anyway thanks for raising the question.
Here will keep searching for some trace of original reply, if it is somewhere.

I also took a look at the deleted duplicate thread. It has only the initial post. No replies.

Every so often, when I click Reply after taking some time to compose a post, a message comes up, 'Are you sure you want to leave this page?'.

There are many times I have clicked Yes, and then there is a pause, then something odd must happen, because my post is lost. (Possibly because my login expired.) Now, if I have a suspicion it's about to happen again, I quickly save my message to clipboard before it can be lost. I do this also if my internet has seemed quirky lately.

I can find no track of any posted reply. There was a duplicate of the mentioned post (thread starter) which has been deleted but contains no replies either.

Moving a thread doesn't affect the posted replies, they are all in a chain and all the replies follow the first post automatically.
Also if such posts existed, even deleted then they would shown in the search I did for posts made by you but they don't show there either.
On the contrary a search for the user who posted the duplicate shows both the existing thread and the deleted one.

Sometimes the forum engine misbehaves when a reply is posted and may result in a lost post or a duplicate (usually this related to the mentioned "leave the page" dialog), but I have no explanation of the missing reply you mention from another user, because if you saw it then it was already posted but we can't locate it.

I stumbled somehow upon the "excessive" use. Up to now it's still a guess that your post has been lost due to a moved thread, this shouldn't happen at all, as already explained.

But apart from this point, how many of the Edaboard threads see you moved in a daily average? More than one Percent?

Most of this (in absolute numbers) few cases involve new members who are still struggling with forum operation and post in an arbitrary wrong forum.

I see that you're annoyed about a lost post, but I don't believe that it was caused by careless or over-eagerly moderator action.

Best regards

Re: Excessive use of "moving" threads between forum areas

I guess I'll just have to make sure that the "Post Quick Reply" button takes when I press it when submitting from my phone.

In regards to the other deleted post...I looked at some of the other posts and now I'm pretty sure I was thinking of another post that I was planning on adding a reply to, but didn't. Though that still means the reply I tried to add still didn't stick, so all I can assume at this point is it didn't actually get posted.

Oh well, thanks for checking, and sorry for venting. I got a bit peeved when I saw my reply had vanished after the move.

Regards

- - - Updated - - -

Just had a thought, I recently started using a different web browser on my phone. I've been noticing that certain things don't seem to work so well in the Default Mobile Style in that browser, (e.g. can't seem to view code that is between code tags, unfortunately code between syntax tags never shows up in either browser :-(). Maybe I should switch back to using Chrome when visiting edaboard.

@ads-ee

I am afraid you are mistaken, I've carefully examined the moderator logs which the other moderators do not have access.

Initially akhil.592 posted the thread in question on 13:48 23rd August, in the Professional Hardware and Electronics Design section, as it was his first post to this forum it was automatically flagged for moderator approval, preventing any general member of the forum from viewing it, let alone posting a reply.

At 13:57, 23rd August, a moderator approved the post.

At 13:58, 23rd August, a moderator issued a warning for the lack of CODE or SYNTAX tags.

Also at 13:58 23rd August, a moderator edited the post adding the missing CODE or SYNTAX tags.

At 14:00 23rd August, akhil.592 posted a duplicate thread in the PLD, SPLD, GAL, CPLD, FPGA Design section, which was also automatically flagged for moderator approval preventing any general member from viewing or replying.

At 14:15, 23rd August, a moderator deleted the duplicate thread.

At 14:21, 23rd August, a moderator moved the original thread posted in the Hardware and Electronics Design section to the PLD, SPLD, GAL, CPLD, FPGA Design section were it remains.

At 19:15, 24th August, you posted your reply to the original thread as it still remains.

akhil.592 has posted no other threads, besides the two discussed above and according to the logs, there have been no other replies made to the original thread, other than yours.

All dates and times are referenced by GMT +1.

I hope the above timeline will alleviate any concerns you may have of the possible deletion of your and others replies from the thread in question.

I do seem to remember approving a thread of similar topic by another member several days ago. Forgive me, as I approve over 800 posts a month, I do not remember the section to which it was posted. Perhaps it was that thread to which you and others posted their replies.

BigDog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back