Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

+12V source switching (lowest part count, lowest cost)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jester

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have done this a few times and the end solution never looks elegant.

I need to switch (control) a 500ma, +12V source ( with 5V logic). The switch must Source not sink.

Please show me your elegant solutions.

Here is a 4 component $0.40 solution

cheap.png

Well you are using P channel Mosfet that will not work as I can see. Use NPN BD 139 Transister.

I have done this a few times and the end solution never looks elegant.

I need to switch (control) a 500ma, +12V source ( with 5V logic). The switch must Source not sink.

Please show me your elegant solutions.

Here is a 4 component $0.40 solution

View attachment 108620
what is the issue than ? yo uonly need to choose the right component rating, your circuit work perfectly

Last edited:

what is the issue than ? yo uonly need to choose the right component rating, your circuit work perfectly

Yes it works, but can it be done with less than 4 components?
or
with less expensive components
or
both

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a 1 part SOT-363 165 mOhm $0.09 High Side 1A switch with extra parts for slew rate control. +/- 1.1A

View attachment 108625

Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding ...... we have a winner

1/2 the parts in a small package for cheap:)

The +12V output will be connected to the load by the end user (ESD what's ESD?). Any suggestions for protection?

Thank you SunnySkyguy :)

Depending on some secondary values / concerns, a 5V
reed relay can be a nice simple and fairly reliable option.
Not as high a cycle reliability, but more resilient to some
overstress conditions (and providing isolation between
control and load, if that kind of thing matters).

Electro-Static-Discharge = ESD . This part has protection with intrinsic diodes.

- - - Updated - - -

This is a half bridge (complementary) emitter follower. THis is equivalent to SPDT between V+ and gnd but with Vce-saturation voltage drops and use where low impedance is but voltage drop is not as important.

Electro-Static-Discharge = ESD . This part has protection with intrinsic diodes.

- - - Updated - - -

This is a half bridge (complementary) emitter follower. THis is equivalent to SPDT between V+ and gnd but with Vce-saturation voltage drops and use where low impedance is but voltage drop is not as important.

I guess you did not catch my dry humor about ESD, I have had very limited success persuading most end users to take any ESD precautions with electronic equipment.

Hi,

If low side switching is possible, then a single n ch mosfet with low vgth will do.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.