Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why do need Dummies in layout

Status
Not open for further replies.

VLSI Bravo

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi all,
can any one tell why do we place dummies on left and right sides of layout mostly, why not on top and bottom. clear explanation please

thanks in advance.

Sorry. I'm not a backend expert. Just came across this paper...

We need dummies to avoid proximity effects, higher etching (sorry I forgot proper word for this ;-) ) of polysilicon on the edges, etc.

In some accurate circuits like DACs we used double ring of dummies, in diff pairs single ring from dummies is enough.
Good and short explanation You can find in the first sections of this chapter

We need dummies to avoid proximity effects, higher etching (sorry I forgot proper word for this ;-) ) of polysilicon on the edges, etc.

In some accurate circuits like DACs we used double ring of dummies, in diff pairs single ring from dummies is enough.
Good and short explanation You can find in the first sections of this chapter

hi dominik,
i got some idea about your answer, but one small doubt, u told that to avoid etching from sides we use dummies, but what about the etching effects from top and bottom

Usually from top/bottom sides of elements we have contacts to metalization, so for resistors, etching in this regions doesn't changes electrical parameters.
In mosfets, lack of dummies from one side could affected source/drain region implantation profile due to ions scattering so most often dummies around active tranistors are used.

//EDIT: I mistook chapters from book. In my previous post should be the link to this chapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back